Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dairy Update

I have been dairy free for one week now and the longer I go without eating dairy the more I think Emerson does have an allergy to cow's milk. I think this especially because on Sunday while trying to avoid all foods with dairy product in them I accidentally ate some corn that had butter cooked in it. I could tell because after I ate the corn the next time I fed Emerson he screamed and cried just like he use to. Not fun. So Now I am officially avoiding all foods with dairy. It is not an enjoyable experience to try to feed a crying baby you know is hungry but won't eat.

The sad part about this is that I have a sweet tooth. I love me some sweets. Most things that are yummy and sweet, have milk [or butter or whipping cream...] in them. Like I said last week, about 90% of my diet is dairy. Sad but true. Because I can't go without eating a sweet after a meal I have been on a search for dairy free yummies. I found this recipe on Pinterest  for little bites of goodness and had to give it a try.


It's just 1 cup oats, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 chocolate chips [I used dairy free and thought about replacing them with raisins or craisins or something], 1/3 cup honey, and 1 tsp vanilla. The original recipe called for ground flax seed, but I didn't' have any so I just omitted it and they were still really good. They turned out to be pretty tasty. I think I will be making these little guys quite a lot this next year.

Anyhow. I just thought I'd share these little wonders. I like to think they are healthy too, which is a nice perk!


1 comment:

Callie Nicole said...

You can order dairy-free chocolate chips for a reasonable price on Amazon and make cookies with fake butter (we use dairy-free buttery spread from Earth Balance). That's what I do to get my chocolate chip cookie fix! :-)