Wednesday, April 10, 2013

School Days

I don't know where the past two days have gone. I feel like they were here and then they were gone. In a snap. How does that happen some days and then some days it seems like they are the l-o-n-g-e-s-t days ever?

Anyhow. Yesterday I went to school for the first time in two-ish months. It was a little weird being back. I felt like a guest, not a teacher. But I had been missing some of my kids and wanted them to see Emerson, I also wanted to visit with my principal, and needed to take some paperwork in. So, really the trip needed to happen. It was good to see my kids again. My first period kids were especially curious and excited about my pregnancy and baby so I thought it would be fun if they could meet [see] Emerson in person. Apparently they were pretty excited when the teacher told them I was coming and got in a little bit of trouble for being more rowdy than usual. Woops :) After seeing them I felt like I had closure. I never planned on going back to finish this semester, but my plans to say good-bye and I love them and be good and all those other sorts of things never happened because, well, Gooseberry Emerson had some plans of his own.

When I saw my kids again and they begged me to come back [aw! they love me! :] I felt as though I really did make the right choice in staying home for the rest of the semester. I have some of the best kids around. They drew a welcome sign on the board for Emerson [I meant to take a picture of it but forgot], it said, "Welcome Junior!" with a bunch of smiley faces and exclamation marks. For those of you who don't know, Junior is what they [one kid in particular] lovingly called Emerson while he was in my belly.

I love those kids more than I think they will ever know. More than I thought was possible. They are all wonderful and bring something fun, different, unique, and special into the classroom. I truly loved reading and discussing "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Night" with them. I loved reading and writing poetry with them, trying to get them to enjoy it even just a little bit. We were able to have fun while we learned because I had established boundaries in my room from day one. Boundaries that allowed them to be them silly selves and to work when it was time to work. Those kids that I saw bright and early in the morning, they made me love teaching. They made me love being in the classroom. And I will miss them. I can't wait to see what the future holds for them, what they will grow up to be. I expect great things of them. My beautiful, wonderful kids.
    

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Awww... That's so sweet that you got to visit your students. :-)