Monday, June 3, 2013

Sleep Training

I know that sleep training is very important and something we need to do.  I think it will help all of us sleep better and will hopefully get Emerson into a good rhythm of falling asleep on his own. Since he has been born he's been sleeping in our room (with the exception of a few nights when we tried sleep training before and then stopped because we knew we would be gone for a few weeks). I really think that now is the time to train him to put himself to sleep. I've read so many books and articles about sleep training. A lot of them make it sound so easy. It's not. He cries and cries and cries. Supposedly his crying is supposed to decrease each night. It hasn't. Though we've only been doing this for two days now...

We have a little bedtime routine. Most nights I feed him, then I give him a bath, read him a story, and then lay him down. Sometimes he gets his bath before his last feeding, it just depends on his eating schedule. But he knows after his bath, it's time for bed. The last two nights I've laid him in his crib and I know he is sooo sleepy. But as soon as he hits the mattress he wakes up and starts crying. And he cries for a long time. Like an hour. And a half. At which point I break down (maybe that's part of the problem?), go in, pick him up, and hold him for a minute or two. Pretty much as soon as I pick him up he is out. Then he lets me lay him back down and he sleeps until his dream feed any where from 1-3 in the morning. After the early morning feeding he goes back down with no fuss (please don't let me writing about this jinks it) and sleeps until 7 (usually on the dot).

I know sleep training is not for everyone. It's just something we have chosen to do. If you have any helpful advice or tips please feel free to share! I will be sure to update you once we have this mastered :)

  my sweet sleeping little man :) 

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Sleep training is sooo hard! But it sounds like you are doing the right thing. And the earlier you begin, the easier it will be on both of you. My baby cried for that long too. Be strong and trust your gut and be patient. He will eventually get it.

Stephanie said...

Do you have a sound machine? That was the trick with both of my boys.

Lauren said...

we bought the Moms on Call book and it worked wonders for us! We didn't actually start until 9 months--EEK! So it was much more difficult. I would definitely get a sound machine--this works great for Elyse and she's able to sleep through practically anything!

Lindsey said...

Sleep training is so hard! How does he do with naps? I've been trying to figure all this out too. So hard! Maggie has been waking herself up in the middle of the night by scooting into the side of the crib. Ugg.