Friday, June 28, 2013

the breaking key

So the other night Emerson and I were coming home from running an errand. Normal outing, normal night, until... I stuck my key in the door to unlock it. Rather, I should say, I tried to stick my key in the keyhole. The key would not fit. I didn't have the wrong key, the key just wouldn't go in. I wiggled and jiggled and shoved and jammed the key in the hole and it refused to budge. To anyone walking by our house I'm sure it looked like I was trying to break in. I wasn't. I just couldn't get in my own house! I stood fooling with the key for at least ten minutes. Nothing worked. But I'm not a quitter, especially when it comes to getting into my own house, so I kept trying to get the key in the hole. When all of the sudden I hear a little "crick" and look down to see half of my house key. The other half was stuck in the key hole.

How does that happen?! I didn't even know that was a thing. Who knew your house key could break in half? Not me, that's for sure.

I called Landon up and told him he would never guess in a million years what just happened to me. He didn't guess and he only laughed when I told him I broke my house key and was stuck outside. At least he was able to look on the bright side of things.

Thankfully we have a great handy man and he was able to come over that evening and get the other half of my key out of the door. Needless to say, we have a new lock and key. I just hope this new one doesn't break!  



No comments: