Tuesday, July 9, 2013

a little cup o' jo

Like many people I enjoy a nice warm cup of coffee. I even enjoy a tasty cup of tea. But coffee is one thing that can really warm my soul. It has a way of hugging me and can give me the illusion that everything in the world is ok. 
 
I used to work at a coffee shop, this was probably one of my favorite jobs. Walking through the door into the shop was one of the most inviting parts of my day. Life felt cozy, warm, and safe. Winter days were some of my favorite days to work in the coffee shop. The warmth of being inside and the comforting aroma of the coffee had a way of making the cold seem inviting [even if it was just because I knew that I was nice and toasty inside :)]. 

So I enjoy some coffee. Just a cup. I'm not crazy addicted to the stuff. It's not my crack or anything. I just like to have a cup every now and then. But I'm fine to go a day or two without having any. When I found out I was pregnant I decided that I wouldn't drink any coffee. My doctor said it was fine, as long as I had it in moderation [no more than 12 ounces I think is what he said], but I choose to cut it out completely. So I put my coffee maker away and for the next nine months didn't give it a second thought. 

After Emerson was born and was waking up to eat every hour and a half made me completely exhausted. All I thought about was sleep. All I wanted was to lay in bed [or on the couch] and close my eyes for a minute [or five hundred]. I can't remember a time when I have been so sleep deprived. Thankfully those days are behind us [hopefully!] and I am able to get more sleep. Even still, I feel tired and would go back and forth about whether or not I should have caffeine or not. The doctor said that as long as you drink caffeine in moderation it is fine. But I was paranoid that by my drinking coffee the caffeine would somehow mess with Emerson and I didn't want that. Even though I know lots of nursing mothers who drink a cup of coffee each day, it was something that I wasn't so sure I wanted to do. 
 
Then one morning I decided I needed some coffee. I'm not sure what made me need some that morning as opposed to all the other mornings, but I dug the ol' coffee maker out and brewed a little cup. And oh, it was delightful. So while I am not drinking coffee every morning, or having more than 6-8 ounces of it, I am enjoying a little cup every now and then. I was just happy to find my good ol' pal again, Butter Toffee Coffee is pure bliss and it makes my heart happy when I get to start my day with a few sips.

 
Do you enjoy drinking coffee? Tea? Are you addicted to it? Do you have a favorite kind?






1 comment:

Susannah said...

Honestly, I love coffe so much and know I'm going to have to cut back a ton when I get pregnant. And then (if all goes according to plan) I'll be pregnant or breastfeeding for the next 8-10 years! I may have to rethink this whole 4 kids, 2 years apart plan! ;-)