Thursday, July 25, 2013

Buttercup

I love our house. I love the size and coziness of it. I love the memories we have in it. I love the location of it. But mostly I love the land around it. Even though we live in a city, it doesn't really feel like we do. We have about an acre or so of land with lots of trees and bushes. A few summers ago we started a little garden and have planted several berry bushes. We love spending time outside. Though this year the misquotes have been pretty terrible so we haven't been able to really enjoy the outside as much as we would like to. Because we have a big yard we have the pleasure of enjoying lots of critters. We had a fox and her kits as neighbors one spring, we've have groundhogs pretty consistently, as well as squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies. 

My favorite are the bunnies. They just hop around looking so happy jolly. They stop and nibble on some grass and flowers here and there and then hop around some more. We have a mama bunny and two smaller bunnies. One of the bunnies is tiny! Like, fit in the palm of your hand tiny. He's just so stinkin' cute! I especially love watching him. 

This morning I went outside to test the weather, you know, to see if it was walking weather or not (it was just a smidgen too hot) -tell me I'm not the only one who does this. Anyhow, as I was standing there something cute little and brown caught my eye. I turned and saw one of our sweet little bunnies laying in our drive. I thought it odd that Buttercup was just laying there, most of the time she hops around and sprints like there is no tomorrow if I get anywhere near her.


Today she didn't do that. When I got a little bit closer she scooted away from me. Scooted. Her back legs were broken. She used her front legs and pulled herself closer to the brush by our drive. Then she stopped and just lay there. Poor Buttercup. 


I wanted to help her. I wanted to do something to make her better. But all I could do was stand there and tell her how sorry I was that she was in pain and couldn't hop around. We watched her for a little bit longer but no matter how long I stood there I couldn't think of how I could help her. 

So I called Landon and told him about Buttercup. He said, "Let Boady go outside and find her." Meaning: the bunny is not going to make it, Hannah. Well, that's not nice. Buttercup is a living, breathing, precious critter. I want to help her, not see her demise.  

see her sad little legs behind her? poor bunny. 
Emerson and I stayed outside for a while this morning keeping Buttercup company. I hope when I go back outside in a little bit she is still there. I wish she could get better and hop away. Though, if I'm honest with myself, that probably won't happen. Buttercup is just a sweet little bunny... 


1 comment:

Katie said...

Is there a wildlife rescue center in your area? Sometimes they will accept animals! That is just so sad!