Wednesday, July 17, 2013

on starting solids

It's about time for us to start feeding Emerson real food. We have given him some rice cereal in the past, but it didn't seem to be doing too much and I knew that come six months he would start eating "real" food regularly. I figured it would be just fine if we waited a few weeks to start giving food every day.


To start giving him food is pretty exciting I suppose. It's a big step. But it is also, quite frankly, terrifying. I have read so many different things about how and when to start solids, what kinds of solids to start with, cereal or non cereal.... so many different ways to go about feeding my gooseberry, I don't know which one to use or where to start. It is a lot more overwhelming than I thought it would be.

if only he could get by just chewing on his toys....
 it's much easier :) 

Where do you start? Baby lead weaning? Cereal? Fruit first? Veggies first? All veggies and no fruit? Sippy cup with a little water? Who knew there were so many things to take into consideration? ... I guess if you think about it, it is obvious, but I wasn't really thinking. Here's to hoping we survive and can figure out how to really start solids!! If you happen to have any tidbits of wisdom in this department, I'm all ears! 

4 comments:

Megan said...

It really is so scary! There are so many options! But you will know what is best!!

kelseylynae said...

I enjoyed watching B try all new foods! We started very liquid-y rice cereal after evening feeding, and soon moved to oatmeal cereal due to her constipation. After a week or so of that I started mixing in a veggie [I think I started with sweet potato] and she did awesome. I kept it all very runny at first to help the transition. I made all the purees myself, so it was easy to add liquid, but I'm sure you can do this just the same if you choose to buy it. Eventually I gave her a little food after the noon feeding, and then eventually added fruit or more veggie to each one. Then added breakfast too. I think the key thing for me was making sure that we nursed FIRST, and then tried the food. I've had some friends who try to give food first and then baby doesn't want to nurse/won't nurse as well, and the milk is still the most essential thing to their diet. :-) Have fun!

Alexis Kaye said...

I just wrote a post on this! http://www.alexislaughs.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-view-on-introducing-solids.html

My Froley said...

I remember the solids phase (I hated it, sooo messy !! lol) I really don't think it matters what you start them on. I remember using baby rice/cereal and home made pureed vegetables/fruits, and then for convenience I would buy the jars of food from the store. One thing I always tried was to give lots of different things to get them used to eating foods they weren't familiar with. My daughter is still pretty open to trying everything once :) good luck!
http://myfroley.blogspot.com