Wednesday, July 10, 2013

zucchini bread

One of my favorite things to do is bake, if I had to pick one thing that I had to do for the rest of my life it would be baking. I love the measuring and mixing, the colors and smells that are created when you bake. It would be a dream come true to stay in a kitchen all day long and bake anything and everything I wanted to. If only dreams could come true...


Summer time offers so many delicious flavors and ingredients, one of my favorites is zucchini. Zucchini is so versatile, you can throw it in a skillet, bake it in a casserole of some sort, or make bread with it. Since I love baking and I love bread, my favorite thing to do with zucchini is to make zucchini bread.

Here is what you'll need:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 ground nutmeg [I always make mine heaping :]
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil [I sometimes substitute with apple sauce :]
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted [optional]


Heat oven to 350. Grease bread pan [one is enough for this recipe] and set aside. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a little well [hole] in the middle if you want [I have done it with and without making the well, and I haven't noticed any significant difference]. Set aside.


Shred zucchini and set aside.


In a separate bowl combine egg, sugar, shredded zucchini, and oil [or apple sauce]. Add to the flour mixture. Combine until moistened, the batter should be a little bit lump. If you are using nuts, fold them in, if not pour your batter into the bread pan.



















Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a knife/toothpick/fork comes out of the center clean. Let cool. Then enjoy! :)

Original recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. 

1 comment:

kelseylynae said...

I've never tried my hand at zucchini bread, but people keep offering me zucchini from their abundant gardens [or if I leave my house unlocked it appears on my table!] and I just may have to make this :)