Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How to Catch and Kill Gnats (aka fruit flies)

I don't know about y'all, but every summer since we have been married our kitchen seems to attract gnats. Pesky little brown insects that swarm your kitchen and never seem to leave. In fact, they do just the opposite of leaving, they multiple. Each summer I have tried dozens of different ways to get rid of them. The one time we were successful was because we were gone from our apartment for two weeks, it was the middle of a Texas summer, we turned the air off, and covered all of the drains. Two weeks later when we walked into our stifling apartment, they were dead and gone. 

Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of doing that each summer. So I tried other methods to kill them, I even had a control group type experiment going on at one point (you know, like you do in science class). It didn't work. I tried vinegar and soap, juice and vinegar, water and soap... you name it chances are I tried it. But none of them worked. 

This summer we were gnat free in our house in Louisville, however, shortly after moving to our new home in Illinois, the gnats decided they would throw us a little welcome party and invade our kitchen and fruit. They were killing me. Not literally. But they were making me a little bit crazy. So I decided I would give it one more try. I looked up how to kill gnats, found a dozen different ways, and decided to try the one I am about to share with you. 

Now, to the good part. How to catch and kill gnats: 

Gather your supplies: 
- Apple Cider Vinegar (it must be a.c.v.!)
- dish soap
- a short glass/cup/jar you don't mind using as the burial grounds for dozens of gnats. 

    

Directions:
- pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar into the jar
- squirt 4-6 squirts of dish soap into the vinegar
- swirl the two around
- set the jar on your counter (make sure it is somewhere you won't think it's a drink and pick it up for a sip) and let the bugs come! 

 


 can ya see the little buggers at the bottom?! 

All these little guys love this glorious concoction!

With this magic potion I caught and killed about a dozen gnats within 30 minutes, for the reals. Try it! ...if of course your kitchen is cursed with gnats. You will love me forever! :) 





4 comments:

Jennie said...

Thank you for this! We get the same! I will have to try this!

Katie @ yellowmangolife.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog! Glad I found yours....have to say it's ironic you posted about this...my sister JUST showed me this earlier this week and it does work! She had work done on her house and tons of gnats as a result. Very cool

On another note, love your boy's name...my hometown is Emerson, so I've always been partial to that as a baby name.

Katie

Andrea said...

Hahaha I love that you made this a science experiment! And thank you for sharing your results! I HATE fruit flies. I waged war on them last summer but have given up hope this year.

Alli said...

Oh my goodness! I need this! Our house is starting to be overrun by those buggers!