Wednesday, September 18, 2013

a recipe: raspberry swirl cupcakes

If you have been around for for even a little bit I think you would know of my extreme love for baking. I heart it. Baking is like therapy for me. Any chance or excuse I have to bake, I will snatch it up and bake till the house is filled with yummy smells and hugs you. 

The weekend after we moved to Illinois the hubs asked me if I could make some Raspberry Swirl Cupcakes. Um, yes please. So I got started right away. 


The Ingredients: 

1 package white cake mix [you can also make the mix yourself, I have done both. The store bought mix just makes it a little quicker]

1 cup raspberry pie filling [again, you can make this yourself, I have done both. Using the pie filling just saves a lot of time]


To Make: 

Prepare and bake cake mix according to the package directions [or according to the recipe you use should you make your own]. Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners [or spray with oil].

Fill the paper-lined  muffin cups about two thirds full. Drop about a tablespoon of the raspberry pie filling into the center of the batter. Use a knife [or toothpick or fork...] cut through the batter to swirl the filling.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Test with a clean knife or toothpick [it should come out clean].

Let cool for at least 10 minutes [it will be hard, but trust me, it's worth the wait].  


The Icing: 

[I have tried many different icings for these cupcakes. But since one of my favorites is cream cheese icing, that is the one I am going to share today.]

1 8-oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter [softened]
2 tsp.  vanilla
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 -3/4 cups raspberry pie filling

Cream the cheese, butter, and vanilla together till smooth and lightly fluffy. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time [this helps eliminate a sugar snow shower all over your clothes and allows you to see how much sugar you need to add]. Add raspberry pie filling. Mix till smooth and creamy. 


The Fun Part: 

Ice those bad boys. Be as creative or un-creative as you like. I like to garnish mine with a little raspberry [just make sure to garnish right before you eat/serve the cakes because sometimes the berries can go bad a little faster than I would like]. 


Have fun!


6 comments:

Bunnie said...

these look AMAZING!! thanks for the recipe :)

http://the2qualleys.blogspot.com

XOXO Bunnie

Chelsea Phelps said...

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

XOXO
Chelsea
http://anchorsaweigh-ouradventure.blogspot.com/

Susannah said...

Yumyumyum!!!! :-D

Ashley said...

These look SO good! My favorite cupcake lives in Lexington at Caramandas--White Chocolate Raspberry!

Nicole Shea said...

Those lookdelicious!!!!!

Ashley Barnhill said...

These look SOOO good!!! I need to make them!