Monday, September 23, 2013

Emerson: 8 months

Emerson, 

Saturday marked your 8 month birthday! We spent the morning playing and went to the park. Sadly you had a little fever that afternoon and were not feeling too hot [actually you were literally very hot, but you know what I mean. You were super cuddly and extra affectionate. Thankfully the fever didn't last long and you were back to your happy little wiggly self the next day. I'm not sure if it was teething or if you caught a little version of the bug Daddy had earlier in the week. I'm just glad you're better! You are a growing little gooseberry! Every day you are becoming more and more mobile. You definitely have your own little personality and it is so fun to watch you as you learn about the world around you. 

You love playing! You are happy to roll/scoot/pull/crawl around on the floor for hours. Sometimes you will entertain yourself with toys and other times you want to go for things you shouldn't have or play with, like a cord or the door stop. Man, you love door stops. 

It is crazy how mobile you have become recently! You are getting around pretty quickly these days. You like to scoot/pull/crawl... I'm not really sure if there is an exact name for it or not, but that what you are doing! Daddy tried putting the baby gate up this weekend but it was the wrong size for the space... so we'll have to wait a little longer on that. 


You like having a playmate and you guys get along pretty well. Though, you guys play together you constantly try to take her paci! I think you guys conspire against me sometimes and decide how to make  my life more difficult. But, you're so cute that I don't mind too much. 


Everything you touch still pretty much goes into your mouth. It doesn't matter if it's a shoe or a toy, you want to eat it. If you don't have anything to put into your mouth your hands or feet are your number one choice. Or mama's hair... we're trying to break you of that, it is not a very pleasant feeling for me. 


You still love kicking and sometimes you will kick for the longest time. And you kick hard too, like it's your job or something. While you kick sometimes you have a very serious little face and other times you giggle and squeal. Funny little guy. 

You have really started reaching out to be held. Mostly you do this while you are laying on the floor. You'll raise your arms and make little grunty sounds or just smile really cute like so I can't help but pick  you up.  


Chilling out is something you are doing more often. Most times when I put you in your car seat or on the couch you rest your little arm on the side. Little man. You are getting better at sitting up for longer periods of time and have perfect posture. You like to sit in the front part of the grocery cart when we go to the store... though after a while you get uncomfortable and make me hold you. I mean, who wants to hear a crying baby at the store [or ever for that matter]? Not me and I know the other shoppers don't. So I hold you. Mostly I try and go grocery shopping while Daddy can stay at home with you.


You have started giving pats. It's adorable.

You do not like having your face and hands washed/wiped off. You used to love this and giggle the whole time. Not any more. Now you are quite vocal and let me know just how much you dislike this little ritual. Oh, man. You have a little voice for sure.


You have finally outgrown your 3 month clothes and are wearing size 6 month, but are still in 3-6 month size clothing. You have been in the six month sleepers for a few weeks because you are getting long. You are still wearing size 2 diapers. You weigh about 17 pounds!


You go to the nursery at church every week now and seem to do a great job! They say you like to cuddle a lot, but I've seen you play some too before we pick you up. 


Food is one of your favorite things! You love meal time. As soon as you are sitting in your chair you expect to eat, you are not a very patient little fellow when it comes to eating. Though, I suppose you never have been. You get so excited when you see your food and wave your little arms and kick your little feet. After you take a bite you kick like crazy until you get another bite and then you just do the same thing again. You have had lots of different fruits and veggies, some new additions are blueberries, peaches, and carrots. You really like blueberries and sweet potatoes. You have three "meals" a day now. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think we'll start adding a little snack time in there soon. You are still nursing though, hopefully we'll make it to one year before we stop. I don't imagine we'll be stopping before then but if we have to for some reason, I'm glad we made it this far.


You have tried your first finger foods: Mums and Puffs. You liked the holding part, but you didn't really seem to care for the actual taste/texture of the Mums or Puffs. With both you when you get a little bite you make a really funny face [almost like the food tastes sour], you cough a little bit, your eyes get a little red, and then you smile - most of the time. I don't really think you actually like these foods right now, but you do seem to like feeding yourself. Although, with the Puffs the success rate of you actually getting one into your mouth is about 1:5, you'll get better. Boady loves that you are eating finger foods now and he will sit very patiently by your chair just waiting for a morsel to fall. I'm just glad we have him around so I don't have to sweep all the time :)  


Reading is a favorite pastime of yours. You like to read by yourself, which mostly consists of you eating the book instead of reading it. But hey, I'm just glad you like books and you have to start somewhere. We'll work on actually reading in a few months.


Most of our days are spent hanging out in your room. You read, play, look at pictures, talk babble and coo, and roll around. Things are pretty quiet around these parts, which is pretty nice most of the time.


You love your Daddy. When he comes home in the evenings you smile so big when you see him. You enjoy playing with him and Boady. You really like to watch Boady and Daddy play and run around. Boady is still very cautious of you. He is happy to touch you when he feels like it, but when you want to pet him he's not the biggest fan and darts away from you. It's kind of funny. He is learning very quickly that you are starting to move more and when you inch closer to him he runs and hides. Ha. I think he will be spending a lot of voluntary time in his bed just so you won't get him.

I tried to get these pictures side by side for a better comparison, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, so for now this will have to do...

 
one and a half months or so


8 months

I know I say it all the time, but I just can't believe how big you are getting! You are just growing up on me so fast little gooseberry! You bring so much joy into our lives and home and we love you more then you will ever know. Thanks so much for making me your mama. 

I love you to the stars and back,
your mama. 

3 comments:

Silver Lining Decor said...

He is so darn cute! Try picmonkey to make a collage and get your pictures side by side like you wanted for comparison.

Christina McGuire said...

Hi Hannah!

You have a very cute blog. I'm your newest follower! Hope you'll come by my blog and follow along too :)
All the best,
Christina

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

My baby turned 8 months too and she is mobile as well. It is such a different experience having them crawl everywhere!