Wednesday, September 4, 2013

quiet time

There was a time in my life when I would spend quality time reading the Word and praying. It wasn't a short length of time. For many years I looked forward to my quite time and these were some of the richest quiet times I had.

In college I would have breaks between classes and I knew that every Monday, Wednesday, Friday after my Lit. Crit. class I had two hours before my next class, so I went in my room [or some other quiet place] to read, pray, and journal. I knew that every Tuesday and Thursday I didn't have class until 9:20 so I would read, pray, and journal for the hour leading up to class. Granted my class schedule changed each semester, but there were always breaks. There was always time for me to to study the Word and pray. Oh, how I loved those days. And oh, the things the Lord taught me during those times.

After college when I was just working full time, I spent my nights reading, praying, and journaling. I loved saying good night to my roommates and closing myself into my bedroom to enjoy the quiet night with my Savior. I loved reading the Word. I loved learning what the Lord was teaching me [although I may have not enjoyed the lesson part quite so much at the time :].

Then I got married. And I still had my quiet times but they weren't as quality. They weren't like the hours I had spent alone with the Lord before becoming a wife. And I missed those days of being single.  Those days of going to bed alone just so I could read, pray, and journal. Just so I could be alone.

I tired waking up an hour before work so I could get that treasured time with the Lord back, but unless I am being paid to be somewhere at a certain time before the sun is up, it just doesn't happen. So I had my quiet time at night. I read. And prayed. Sometimes I journaled. But it wasn't the same. Summers were my favorite because I could spend hours in the Word like I once did. But then the summers ended.  School started. Quality was no more.

Then I had a baby. The baby consumed me. The baby was all I did all day and night. I fed the baby every two hours. Held the baby. Played with and comforted the baby. I was living to take care of the baby. Oh, how I love the baby.

But my quiet times became even less than they were before.

I want to be an example of what it means to seek after and serve the Lord for E. I want him to grow up knowing that Christ is the most important thing in my life. Right now, he wouldn't know that. Neither would anyone else, I'm sure. I have let my relationship with Christ become weak. That's not what I want, but it's what it is.

What do you do to keep your walk with Christ strong? How do you find/make time to spend reading the Word?

2 comments:

jennifer said...

This is something I've really been struggling with as well. I'm JUST getting into attempting to read and study the Bible, and on top of being totally overwhelmed with where to start and how to better understand, I'm really struggling with finding the time. It's just so hard for me to concentrate with my days move a million miles a minute!

Christine {Our Traveling Nest} said...

Glad you commented on my blog because I'm going to enjoy reading yours! I feel like I could have written this exact same post. It seems like my quiet times have taken a similar path as yours. With a 1 year old and one on the way I know it's so important for my heart and attitude to be in the Word every day. I TRY to get up at least 30 mintues before my daughter (around 6:15-6:30am) to drink a cup of coffee and read the bible/pray. Even though it's hard most days to get up earlier than I have to I find that it's the best time with the fewest distractions. Have you ever looked at the SheReadsTruth devotionals on the YouVersion bible app? It's a great and easy resource for studying different books in the Bible. Hope those thoughts are helpful!