Tuesday, September 17, 2013

vacuums kind of suck

October 4th will mark five years of the hubs and I being married. Five years. Crazy. But I'm not here to talk about how super or lovely those five years have been, I'll wait until October 4th to do that. What I am going to talk about is the fact that we can't keep a vacuum cleaner alive for longer than a year and a half. Pretty much. 

When we first got married we used one of our gift cards and got us a nice little vacuum. I LOVED this vacuum. Not only did it pick up lots of dirt, it was pretty light weight, easy to clean, and it was cute to boot. 

found on google images

But then we moved and our new house had new carpet. It was pretty and nice and clean. But it also picked up tons of fuzz every time I vacuumed. At least the vacuum worked. Then we got a dog. He shed. A lot. I'm not sure if it was the new fuzzy carpet, the dog, both, or the fact that we'd had the vacuum for about two years that made it finally suck it's last fluff. Whatever it was, it died. I think this is the vacuum that started smoking on me. Scary? Yeah. So we threw that one out and got a new one. A special one for pets. 

found on google images 

I enjoyed this vacuum. It was nice. Not quite as light weight as the first one, but it worked. Every time I vacuumed I picked up loads of fuzz and dog hairs, and even some dirt. It served us well. Then right before my mom was going to come visit us after Emerson was born I the hubs or his mom [I don't quite remember, it was a fuzzy time of life for me] vacuumed. Or tried to. But this lovely little guy decided to quit working. I'm not exactly sure how he quit working, like I said, I wasn't the one doing the vacuuming. So the hubs took it to the repair shop. They said they had to order the part, blah, blah, blah. Okay. Fine. Thankfully we were able to borrow my mother-in-laws old vacuum. We used her vacuum for a few months. Our part never came in. We never got our purple vacuum back. Instead we just kept my MIL's old one. She had a fancy new vacuum so she was happy to part with this one. 

found on google images 

Three-ish weeks ago my in-laws were here visiting us and we rented a carpet cleaner [did I ever tell you there were maggots on the floor in our basement?1 gross!]. Before we they my father-in-law ran the cleaner he vacuumed the rooms. And low and behold, this little ol' vacuum went kaput. It lost it's suction. It made funny noises. It broke. We only had this one for 6 months. oh, dear. Apparently we don't have the best track record with vacuums.  

Also, I'm just now realizing that all three of these vacuums were Eureka!, maybe it's just the brand that's bad? Also, we never spent more than $85 dollars on a vacuum. Maybe that's part of the problem? I don't know. But I think it's pretty pathetic that in nearly five years of marriage we have already gone through three vacuum cleaners. Aren't those things supposed to last forever?! Have you had to get a new one every other year? 

Sheesh. 

Because our anniversary is coming up and we need a vacuum [especially now since Emerson is nearly crawling!] we decided that would be our gift to each other. Romantic, I know. That's just the way we roll around these parts. 

This time though, I wanted to make sure our vacuum would last. I wanted to make sure it would be a piece of crap and break in a year and six months. So I did some research. Or, well, you know, I read a bunch of reviews online about all kinds of different vacuums. I also talked to one of my sisters who happens to clean her church. I knew she had recently gotten a fancy shamncy vacuum because she liked the one she used at the church so much. She said she LOVES this vacuum. It's the best. So I read a ton of reviews on that vacuum and all of the reviews were pretty much 4-5 starts. The worst thing anyone said was that it fell over sometimes if you left it sitting unattended. But everyone said it was great at picking up dirt and pet hairs. Which is exactly what I was looking for. 

So, with a coupon in hand, a head full of knowledge about this vacuum, and our anniversary monies, I went off to the store and got this little sucker. 


It's a Shark.

I've only done a little test with it because I put it together after E went to sleep last night and I was so excited to try it out, but I didn't want Boady to go nuts [he really hates vacuum cleaners for some reason].  Anyhow. I am excited about trying it out this afternoon. I hope it lives up to its expectations and does a killer job sucking up dirt and pet fur. Also, I hope it lives for at least 5 years [I did pay more for this little guy than I have any other vacuum before]. One thing I like about this guy already is that it comes with a five year warranty. Snap. That's my kind of happy.

If you have this vacuum and hate it and think it's horrible, please don't spoil my excitement. You can just lie to me. ... or not. I would like to know if any of you have used this one before. What are your vacuum experiences? The good, the bad, and the dirty?

5 comments:

kelseylynae said...

We bought a Dyson in 2011 and I have loved it every.single.time I've used it. If your Shark doesn't live up to its expectations, bite the bullet and get a Dyson [they are pricey, but I've learned it's for a reason!]

I wrote about it here http://kelseylynae.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-new-vacuum.html when we got it.

Susannah said...

I hate vacuumes and hate vacuuming. Dumb. ;-) We got a cheap red dirt devil for a wedding gift and it's still going strong. I'm sorry you've had such lame experiences with vacuumes!

Megan said...

Ha-ha I'm a cleaning nut so this post is right up my alley!

Shark is making some great vacuums, very similar but less expensive than Dyson!

Megan
IG: megawat
Hello Newlywed Life Blog

Silver Lining Decor said...

I have the exact vacuum and I LOVE it! Seriously. Not just saying so to not burst your bubble ;) Before this vacuum, we went through one cheapo vacuum after the next. I'm sure we've been through more than 5. Anyway, I finally realized that I should invest in something a bit nicer and this one has done really well for us. I think you'll enjoy it.

Side note: our 5 year anniversary is October 25th! Congrats to you :)

Nicole Shea said...

Dyson!!! If this one dies you have to try a Dyson! They are amazing and last forever!