Wednesday, October 16, 2013

finding peace and quiet

The past few months I have been struggling with having quality quiet times. I have allowed other things to get in my way and to use them as an excuse. One of my biggest excuses being that I don't have time and I can't wake up early in the morning, because I love sleep. Well, no more!

Remember when I joined a Bible Study? While I'm still working my way through the study ("No Other Gods" by Kelly Minter) and am still trying to really figure out what the god(s) in my life is; one thing is for certain, my quiet times are getting better. I think a large part of this is due to the fact that I have direction and am being held accountable by the other ladies in the study. I know what I am going to be doing during my quiet time each day and it's more than just reading Scripture. 


Up to this point I have only been reading Scripture, which is a good thing, but I needed a change. I've been reading through the One Year Bible for the past four years now, but I was just reading. I wasn't challenging myself any more or spending time in prayer about what I read. Being in a new study has helped challenge myself and has me excited about getting in the Word. 

Another thing it is making me do is get up early in the morning. Each day this is a battle, I want to sleep for as long as I possibly can, because well, I love sleep and I haven't slept through the night since Emerson was born. I have been using that excuse a lot. But I felt compelled to set my alarm and get out of bed before Emerson woke me with his babbling. So I did. And it was horrible getting out of my warm and cozy bed. But you know what? I had an amazing quiet time and my day just seemed brighter. 

It has always been that way for me; if I wake up early and spend time in the Word my days just seem better than if I hadn't. Is it that way for you guys or is it just me? 

Anyhow, my point is (if I have one) having some alone time, some quiet time, before baby (or before you have to start your day and go off to work) wakes up is so precious and valuable. I feel refreshed and am happier to see Emerson when he wakes up in the morning after I have been up for a bit. I would encourage you to try it. I mean, if I can drag myself out of bed in the morning, you can too!  :)


1 comment:

Jessica Elyse @ Memoirs of a Mommy said...

Praying that you can keep that time holy despite crazy schedules and much loved sleep. I know how easily things can try to creep into that time. Love a good morning wakeup with the Word.