Tuesday, October 1, 2013

the story of us: part 4

In case you missed the first three parts to the story you can catch up here, here, and here.

- - - - - -

The remaining days of Christmas break Landon was over at Sister's house a lot. One night he came for dinner. We ordered pizza and when it was time to go pick it up, Sister practically threw me out the door with him to go pick it up. I guess she knew I liked him or something and she wanted to give us plenty of time by ourselves to get to know each other. So thoughtful and wise. We spent many nights playing Rook with Sister and her hubs and eating dinner together. We also went on a date. Just the two of us this time and had brunch at Cracker Barrel. After which we spent the day hanging out and getting to know each other even better. But Christmas break was coming to an end. I was going back to Idaho and he was not. We never really had "the talk" but after returning to school he would call me almost every day (I was one of those few people who didn't have a cell phone and used the land line. gasp). We never really had "the talk" or said we were dating or anything, but I knew that I really liked him.

Then came Valentine's Day. Do I get him something? Do I not? What kind of relationship are we in? I didn't know and I didn't want to be too forward. So I made him a card and sent it to him. In return, he sent me flowers and he asked me if I would want to fly out to see him during my Spring Break. Um, yes please! He bought me a ticket and flew me out to Kentucky. He even arranged for  me to stay with one of his girl friends (a friend that was a girl) and her roommates. It was so nice to be able to see this guy I had been talking to on the phone nearly every night and get to know him better in person.

It was during this visit that he took me on a super nice date. We went to the levee where there are shops, restaurants, and an aquarium. We enjoyed a nice meal and evening together. After dinner we started walking around the center and towards the lawn that looked over the river and at the Cincinnati skyline. The night was beautiful, it was perfectly breezy, the lights from Cincinnati were making the sky glow. We stopped walking and sat down on the lawn. Away from the people, away from the noise.  And we talked.


Then he looked at me with those big blue eyes of his and started to lean into give me a kiss. Our first kiss. As he got closer I turned my head away from him and made a comment about how pretty the skyline looked.

There was no kiss. I rejected him 100% that night.

Poor guy.

The night was perfect. He was perfect. It would have been so romantic. But no. I turned away from him and there was no kissing that night.

And that's the story of our not first kiss and date at the levee.

*we did kiss before I left to go back to school. It wasn't nearly as romantic a setting as the levee (it was in a basement), but hey, it was a kiss just the same. He told me a while later that if I hadn't kissed him while I was visiting over break that that would have been then end of us. ha.

1 comment:

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

The end of you for no kiss?!?! Man hahaha. I'm loving your story!