Thursday, October 3, 2013

the story of us: part 4

If you missed the beginning of the story and want to catch up you can do that here: part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Part 4: The Proposal  

The majority or our dating relationship was long distance, I was in Idaho and Landon was in Kentucky.   After graduation I moved to Kentucky so we could actually see each other and know what it was like to live in the same place. He helped me find some roommates and I found a job to start after I moved. So we saw each other a lot more and it was nice to not just talk to a voice on the phone, but to really get to know each other in person. 

December came around and Landon asked me what I wanted for Christmas, my answer was slippers. That was all I wanted and asked for, so obviously I kind of expected to get a pair of slippers for Christmas. I didn't. Instead I opened a box that contained two tickets to see "A Christmas Carol" on December 29th (which just so happened to be the same day we met). 


Now, don't get me wrong, I love plays and musicals and all things theater; but I really wanted slippers and was honestly a little disappointed that I didn't get a pair for Christmas. Ungrateful? Little bit. Thankful and excited to see the play? More than anything. Landon has always been a really thoughtful gift giver (once when I flew back to Idaho from visiting him I was unpacking my bag and found a pair of slippers and a note from him... sweet guy, right?). 


Landon even had the foresight to borrow a dress from my sister so I would have something nice to wear (apparently he noticed that I didn't have many nice clothes...) to the play and on our date. Like I said, thoughtful and a planner. 

So December 29 rolls around and off we go to the play. Which happened to be near the levee, so as an obvious place to have dinner we went to one of the nicer restaurants at the levee after the play was over. We ate at a super fancy restaurant with a piano player and everything. They had tablecloths and wine glasses on the table for goodness sakes. Nice nice place. Even though we both enjoyed a nice meal we were both still slightly hungry (for some reason the portions at the fancy restaurants are always really small and never very filling), so Landon suggested we walk around a little bit and then go have some ice cream. Since I love me some ice cream I was happy to agree. 

please excuse the fuzzy picture, it's the best one I have... 

We walked into the chilly December night air and saw a horse and carriage ride thing, he asked if I wanted to go on one. For some stupid reason I declined the sweet offer.... once in a life time offer... Anyhow. We walked around a little bit. Past the shops and other restaurants, toward the river that overlooked the Cincinnati skyline, away from people. 

There was a bench and Landon suggested we sit down for just a little bit before getting ice cream, it was 28 degrees outside after all. He looks into my eyes, starts being really serious, then gets down on one knee. 

lil' ol' me on the bench, before he started being all serious 

What is he doing?! 

He pulls out a tiny white box from his coat pocket and opens it after asking me if I would do him the honor of being his wife.

What?! I am dumbfounded and say nothing. He looks at me and his eyes urge me to say something. So I do, "That ring is too big! It's too much..." 

He just smiles and says, "Soooo, is that a yes?"


At which point I realize I haven't really answered his question, "Yes, yes, of course I'll marry you!" Then of course, I gave him a smooch. 


He laughs, all happy and stuff and says, "I'm so glad you kissed me. I was hoping you wouldn't reject me a second time. You just redeemed yourself from our not first kiss."

So he got his kiss on the levee. And I got engaged. 


We didn't get ice cream that night. 










1 comment:

Susannah said...

What a sweet proposal story!!!! He's definitely a keeper. ;-)