Tuesday, January 28, 2014

a happy little first birthday

Just a few days ago we celebrated one year of Emerson. I can still hardly believe that he has been in our lives for a whole year and a few days (not counting the 36 weeks he was in my belly that is). Before I get all sentimental and mushy again and start really bawling my eyes out, I'll just share some pictures from his little birthday celebration on his actual birthday day :) 

I made him a special little cake. I wanted his first cake to be somewhat healthy so I made a blueberry banana cake for him. I found a recipe for a healthy cake online and I just changed it so I could make it what I wanted (what would be easier/better) for me. There was also a recipe for a healthy icing. I tried it, of course I wanted the icing to be healthy too. Well, as it turns out, it was just gross. There is a reason icing is never healthy, and that is because it is supposed to be yummy and yummy = sugar. hehe :) I didn't have time to make a new batch of real icing for his cake (I did have three babies to look after....) so at the last minute I added some decorations to his cake. I mean, who doesn't love cool whip?!


I decided to give him the cake and let him go at it. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest thing he has ever had on his tray before. and he wasn't quite sure what to do about it.



So I broke some off for him ...









And there's the cake. I'll share the recipe later on (if I can remember that is) and the healthy frosting in case any of you are interested ...


So, it might look like he got a lot of loot, but that's mostly because I like presents. I know he's just a baby and doesn't really care one way or the other, but I had to wrap them all up for him any how. And because I like presents so much I only put one thing in each bag. Is it bad that we "regifted" some of his Christmas gifts? Cause we did that. Which is why there is so much for him to open. I was gave him fun things like lotion and soap and clothes that I had been collecting since he was a little peanut (sometimes when a package of onesies is $2 you just buy them and hold on to them. I know he won't be able to wear any of the clothes for a while yet, but eh, he has them).


Boady even got in on the action. What a treat. He was only slightly terrified of the bath toys. Crazy doggy.
 

Emerson got lots of happy birthday wishes and was able to facetime with all of his grandparents. It was a nice little celebration. We are so thankful for our little Gooseberry.


2 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy! I found your blog via Alisha. :) Excited to follow along!

Susannah said...

Awww... Happy birthday to your little man. It defintely looks like he enjoyed his day!