Monday, January 27, 2014

Banana Blueberry Cake: a recipe

mentioned a few days ago that I wanted to make E a healthy first birthday cake. I looked around the internet and in many cookbooks before I found a recipe I thought could work. I followed most of the cake recipe, but I wanted to share how I made it just in case I decide to make it again, which I probably will.


Banana Blueberry Cake

Ingredients 
5 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup apple sauce
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
2 cups frozen blueberries (or fresh if you have them)

Instructions 
Peel and mash the bananas, add in the remaining ingredients, excluding the blueberries, and mix well. After everything is combined, gently stir in the blueberries. Pour into two 8 or 9" round or square pans or one 9x13 greased pan(s). Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Let cool and then top as desired.

* I tried the icing recipe that went along with the cake recipe, and I thought it was horrible. I know it was probably a good healthy icing, but I want my icing to taste good and not just be healthy. Even if it is for my baby. I didn't have time to make a new icing, so I just used a little cool whip instead :)

** This makes a good first birthday cake, if you are looking for something healthy for your baby, but it would also make a good breakfast bread (without the icing/cool whip). I ate the left over cake for breakfast because I thought it was so good.

*** Also, this cake is a little dense, it's not light and fluffy like a lot of other cakes. It's actually a little like banana bread, which is fine with me because I like banana bread.

Anyhow. There's that. Happy baking!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

when you first posted this I thought it looked a lot like a banana bread-type recipe! looks delicious!

Alisha said...

This looks so good! I am totally going to make it soon!