Thursday, March 13, 2014

a long morning

This morning, while it was nice and dark out, our electricity went out. After the power was off I could hear the wind howling outside and see the snow falling, which I am pretty sure is why the power went off to begin with. Anyhow, after 3:58 (the exact time the power went out) I just could not fall back to sleep. I don't think it helped that my hubby couldn't either and kept tossing and turning.

And this is why I couldn't fall back asleep: there was no white noise for me. Pathetic, I know. But, I always sleep with a fan on, I need the white noise and in the summer it's a nice little breeze on me while I sleep. Since as long as I can remember I have had something to fall asleep to: music, rain on the tin roof, the hum of an air conditioner unit in my room...  I suppose that is why I have developed a need to have a white noise on when I sleep. So every night I sleep with a fan on, even if it's -20 outside (which it has been a lot this winter). Apparently after five years of marriage I have gotten my hubby dependent on a little white noise too. Woops. But I can't help it. I really can't sleep without it. I know it's probably a bad thing to be so dependent on it, but I am. What can I say? When we travel I take a mini fan just for the noise. If I don't have that noise it takes me forever to fall asleep. Then, should I be woken in the middle of the night for whatever reason it takes forever for me to fall back asleep. So in the end I don't end up getting my sleep if I don't have my little fan or noise maker. I know, I know, first world problems. Anyhow, that is why when the power went out at 3:58 this morning I couldn't really fall back asleep.

I really don't mind having no power, I practically grew up without it. Candles are just fine. But then, it wasn't freezing outside either. And also, it was pretty much expected to have no power and a nice surprise if we had it at all.

Anyhow... the day would go on. And since the power was out and the electric company had no idea when it would come back on I had to make plans for the day. I couldn't very well care for three babies in a freezing cold house. Thankfully Bee's mom said we could spend the day over at their house. So I packed some food and other supplies we would need for the day, dropped Landon off at school, and went to their house. Then right before Bee's dad was going to leave for work I got a text from the electric company: our power was on. Of course it would be, right at the start of the day. But still, thank you Jesus. I told Bee's dad and he asked if I wanted to go home with the babies. I decided to think about it (and the logistics of it: one me. one 13 month old. one 9 month old. one 5 month old. 3 babies. 3 car seats. half a dozen baby bags...). He left her car seat base and the garage code should I choose to leave, and was off.

I thought about it for a while and decided we could stay and make it work. But then Toad came and I just asked his mom if she could leave his base, just in case... After about ten minutes of three babies in one large room that opened up into a nice clean kitchen and chasing and redirecting two babies about a hundred times I decided that yes, I would make the trek with three babies back home.

So I loaded them up, one at a time. The time I started to load everything up to the time we actually left took about 45 minutes. Not too bad, right? Needless to say, I was very happy to be home with them where I have a space designated especially for them that they can tear apart to their little hands delight.

3 comments:

Rachel Lynn said...

Glad everything worked out....3 babies, carseats, baby bags and all!

Kelsea said...

What a mess! We had something similar happen, but only had one baby to deal with! Glad you all survived and had family close by!

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

Girl, you have got to discover the sound machine app on your phone!! I also can't live without my sound machine but Ais took it in her room when she was born. So we use the free app on our phones instead, and it works wonders!