Tuesday, March 11, 2014

strawberry bread: a recipe

The other week when I went to the grocery store I was delightfully surprised by one of the best sales: strawberries - 5 for $5. What?! So of course I did the logical thing and plopped five cartons of strawberries in my cart. I mean, how could I not? It would be such a waste. We love strawberries and I needed a fruit for the week so I snatched them right up.

As the week went on and we were nibbling away on the fresh berries I noticed we probably wouldn't get to all of them before they went bad, which would be a real waste. So I did the only thing I could think of. I made bread with them.


Strawberry Bread 
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup butter -softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
16 oz. strawberries - mashed



Directions: 
Cream together the butter, sugar. Add eggs in one at a time and mix together. Add vanilla. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda. Mix into the the butter mixture. Fold in sour cream and strawberries. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.


... of course it's much tastier with a little bit o butter spread on top :)  



So if you are ever at the grocery store and happen to stumble across a 5 for $5 deal on strawberries, or you have some you don't think you'l finish off before they go bad, or you just want to try something new, have some fun and make some strawberry bread. It is amazingly soft, perfectly sweet, and there are little bits of berry in each bite. Yum. Let me know if you try it! 


Strawberry Bread 
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup butter -softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
16 oz. strawberries - mashed


Directions: 
Cream together the butter, sugar. Add eggs in one at a time and mix together. Add vanilla. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda. Mix into the the butter mixture. Fold in sour cream and strawberries. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.



4 comments:

Susannah said...

Strawberry bread sounds really good! I'm so jealous that you were able to find strawberries for so cheap!

Callie Nicole said...

Oh my, I've never even heard of strawberry bread before this. YUM! I'm going to have to try it!

Ember Grey. said...

Oh my gosh - I have to try this!!!! Looks amazing! :)

Mrs. Pedersen said...

Oh, this sounds SO GOOD! (=