Wednesday, April 30, 2014

a bay-bee shower

Sunday was the day I had been preparing for for well over a week. In fact, plans for Sunday had been in the making for over a month or so. My friend J graciously opened her home to host a baby shower for our friends who are having a baby in June. J and I talked about ideas, food, themes, games, and other shower things in hopes of getting everything figured out. I'd say we managed to do a pretty good job; I just hope the mama-to-be thought so too. Just the same, it was fun to plan for and it gave me something to do and look forward to. I'm so glad I was able to help host this shower for such a sweet and fun couple!


Thankfully Emerson slept fairly well the night before so I was pretty rested too that morning [side note: for some reason or another every time I have slept at T and J's house I have always woken up the following morning feeling completely rested and refreshed. It's like they have a magical pillow or something...]. He woke up pretty early, hello 5:30ish, and after feeding him, eating a little breakfast myself, playing for a while, changing his diaper, and reading some books, everyone else woke up: at the completely [more] normal hour of 7:30ish. Why, oh why, is my child such an early riser?


Anyhow, by the time I had given him a bath and gotten him dressed Landon and our friend T were ready to take the babies [and dogs] out for a walk. They are brave. But thankfully for them, the walk went smoothly. 


While they were out walking J and I finished getting things ready for the shower. She had done the decorations already so we just had to get the food ready and set out. It's amazing how much you can get done in such a short amount of time when you have help in the kitchen and have no babies pulling on your legs in need of something [even if it is just a hug].


One of the fun things about this shower was that the menu was vegan. I think coming up with menus for showers and things is fun anyhow, this one was a little more of a challenge and thus made it even more fun. I think we did pretty well with coming up with a vegan menu.


Banana zucchini bread, waffles, fruit salsa, oatmeal, fruit toppings, cake, and a very last minute addition of a [non-vegan] coffee cake because we had it. If you would like any of the recipes we used let me know, I'd be more than happy to share! 


I'm not sure if any of you caught the hint in the initial post in which I shared about the baby shower. But there was a hint in there  [look at number three :]. I'm too impatient now to wait for you to guess, but I would believe you if you said you picked up on the theme from my hint [maybe :]. 


We thought it would be fun to have a bee theme for the shower. The color yellow is such a happy color, and bees are pretty dang cute. So we went with it. It was perfect for a gender neutral shower, as the couple is waiting to find out the gender until the baby is born. Fun fun! 


Plus, I really wanted to make a happy cake and thought bees would be a good [and easy] way to do that. If you follow me on instagram you may have seen a peek of the cake the other day. I am really pleased with how it turned out. 



 

Our friends are from Russia so J made a banner in Russian, which is probably why you can't read it :]

 

Me with the pretty mama-to-bee [kehehe :]. I am so thankful for her friendship and cannot wait to meet her little bundle in a few months!  


...and just for fun [and because I can] I thought I'd throw in this picture of us from my shower! I'm so happy it's her turn now! 


It was so good to see friends and spend a few hours with them on Sunday. Another couple that had moved away was able to come in for the shower, and it was just perfect to see everyone... and all the babies!


As Landon and I were driving home that afternoon we both agreed that even though it had been a busy weekend we felt refreshed. I guess that what happens when you are with people you love and care about.



5 comments:

Amy said...

Such an adorable shower! And look at all those babies!! How fun!

Lauren said...

You did such an awesome job - what a precious shower!! So many fun details too!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Such a sweet shower!

Alisha said...

This was beyond cute!! Loved this idea!!

Jillian said...

I really enjoyed hosting this and working out all the details with you!!! So fun! Love how you captured it so well!