Thursday, April 24, 2014

Emerson : 15 months

Emerson,

You are 15 months old! It is absolutely crazy to think that you are so big. Where did your tiny little peanut self go? I was holding you the other day and thought about how I was once able to hold you in one arm -as in, your entire little self fit in the crook of my arm. No legs or arms dangling over and kicking all over the place. And now you are a long, busy, on the move, determined, brave, sweetheart of a boy. And I love you even more!


More and more you are a very independent little boy, and becoming even more so with each passing day. You love playing - especially with your friend Bee - and reading books. When you want to read a book, you'll go over to the bookshelf, pick a book out, carry it over to me, then throw it at me as if to say, "let's read." Sometimes you'll just hold the book out to me, which I must say is a little more gentle and the way I prefer you giving a book to me, you know, it doesn't hurt as much. Then you'll sit down in my lap and we'll start reading the book. Most of the time we read at your pace, and you are a speedy little reader. I don't mind, I'm just happy you love books so much. You have a few favorite books right now, most of them have animals in them. You love looking at the animals!


You are a good eater. I'm thankful that so far you eat pretty much anything. Of course, you have your favorite foods: cheese, yogurt, bananas, Puffs, and melon; but you typically will eat whatever. Surprisingly you are not a huge fan of macaroni and cheese though. You LOVE fruit and would probably only eat that if given the option, but you also love cauliflower and other veggies. We are giving you more and more table food, but I find that sometimes you don't eat what we are because you eat dinner before we do, so I just fix foods that I know you like. Also, sometimes I'm just out of ideas of new things to give you. I feel like I need to give you lots of foods now in hopes that it will help you be less of a picky eater later on, but we do a lot of repeat meals. I'm working on it...  


One thing you don't love so much is milk. Ever since weaning you at 12 months you have not been a huge fan of milk. We tried cow's milk, soy milk, and now we're trying a toddler formula. You drink it, but not a whole lot. I wish you would guzzle it like you do your water. Maybe one day soon?


Every morning when we hear Bee's dad knock on the door you throw yourself on me and wrap your arms so tight around my neck. While we walk down the stairs you 'jump' and wave; you really love Bee and are always so excited to see her in the mornings. I'm not sure what we will do when summer rolls around.

You are learning to take turns with your toys and books. Sometimes if Bee has a toy or book you want you will follow her around making an "izz izz izz..." kind of sound. It's kind of cute, and it apparently means you want what she has. Now.


For now you are still napping twice a day. I love it. You love it. Keep on keeping on my little man. You can take two naps a day for as long as you like! Most of the time your morning naps are about two hours long and your afternoon nap is about an hour long. If you miss out on your afternoon nap for some reason or another, you are an absolute peach [note the sarcasm] for the rest of the evening/night. So, I am really a fan of that afternoon nap.


You went to the doctor on Monday for your well check. You weigh a whole 21 pounds and are 33 inches long. Right now you are wearing mostly 9 and some 12 month clothes and are a size 3 diapers when we do disposables.


Being outside makes you happy. When we go to the park you love walking around by yourself. You even help push the stroller sometimes. You aren't a fan of walking on the mulch or grass yet, but on the sidewalk, you could walk all day. And you do. Or so it seems. The other day we were at the park with Daddy and you nearly walked around the whole park with us... a quarter of a mile or so. You started getting tired and sat down on the sidewalk, and even though we knew you were pooped from all that walking, you still didn't want to get in the stroller. Independent and determined I tell ya.


Things you could care less about include: diaper changes, getting dressed, being told no, having something that you aren't supposed to have taken away from you, and waiting for your food to be ready.


Things you LOVE: looking out your window [some men are building a house and you love to watch what they are doing], 'playing' with Boady, Mama, walks, going to the park, eating, reading, being outside, playing ball with Daddy.


Though you do not have a large vocabulary right now [you only say mama and make the ba sound for different b words] you understand a lot! I can ask you to go pick out a book, get your socks, find your pants, find Bee's paci or socks, where your ball is, if you want a snack, to go downstairs with me, to take a bath, to take a drink of water, if you want to facetime, if you need a diaper change, and a slew of other things and you will do it/get it/go to where it's at! You go get a book, find the missing socks or paci, get your ball, or whatever it is I am asking/saying. You are a smart little guy. You don't always obey when we tell you 'no', but you sure understand. You sign 'more' when you are eating, though you don't say it. When you're ready I'm sure you'll start talking up a storm. I guess you're just a quiet one like your mama.


I love love love you and I love spending each and every day with you. You are the sweetest boy I know. Every day you learn something new and you teach me new things all the time too. It is such a blessing to be able to watch you learn and grow into a little boy. You have my heart little one. I pray that you will know, love and serve Jesus with your whole heart. He has blessed us with you and I hope and pray we are able to teach you about his amazing grace and love. He is a Mighty God, Gooseberry.

I love you to the stars and beyond.
Mama

 

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Love this today! I was just thinking about how not so long ago, Alexander could fit in my arm too!! They grow so fast, and it is such a joy to watch them grow, but, makes me sad at the same time. I just want to slow time a little.

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

What a sweet boy! Happy 15 months!