Wednesday, April 9, 2014

it's the little things

This morning I slowly cracked open the door of Emerson's room. I peeked in to see him sitting down on his bed. As soon as I took a step in his room he stood up and hung desperately to the side of his crib. His little toothy grin shining. I crouched down so we were at eye level and he fell into fits of laughter, back onto his mattress. Then he stood up and I looked at him through the slats in his crib, again he fell into a puddle of giggles. After a few minutes of playing and giggles he stretched his little baby soft arms up to me, I picked him up and he wrapped his arms tight around my neck while resting his head on my shoulder.


We sat down in the rocker and he continued to cuddle, let me pat his back, sing to him, while he gave me a few pats every now and then too. Every few minutes he would push his head up and look deep into my eyes, smile a smile that came from his little soul, and then he would rest his head against my shoulder again.


The soft skin of his arms lay against mine. His tiny dimpled hands and fingers pat my face and (not so gently) dig into my mouth and eyes. But oh, scratch away, baby boy. I love your little hands patting (sort of) me.

I love these moments. They are so precious. So sweet. So fleeting. They are my favorite. I know before long the cuddles with become less and less (they already are), but as long as he wants me to cuddle, and as long as he lets me hold him tight, I am going to do just that.


My little baby is not such a little baby any more. He is growing and changing each and every day. So each and every day I try to cherish his little baby (toddler) self as much as my heart will let me. Because all too soon he will be a little boy, and then a smelly teenager, and then off to college wooing girls with those killer dimples of his. Oh, be still my heart...


Linking up with Ashley!




9 comments:

Alisha said...

This is so true!! Loved your post today... makes me miss my little love. How are they growing up so quickly?

Alisha said...

This is so true!! Loved your post today... makes me miss my little love. How are they growing up so quickly?

Alisha said...

This is so true!! Loved your post today... makes me miss my little love. How are they growing up so quickly?

Sarah said...

Love this. Kinda made me sad though a bit as Drew doesn't really sleep on me anymore. As a 3.5 year old, snuggles and naps on mommy are very rare and generally only when he's sick. :(

Mandi Moore said...

I just had one of those rare cuddle moments the other night and I just wanted to freeze time! Love your post!

Mandi
Best Little Moore House in Texas

Tiffany said...

I love this! I totally agree. I am so lucky that Sydney still loves her cuddle moments!!!

Amy said...

Love this! Cash isn't a cuddler :( & I'm a major one. Every once in a while, he will just plop down on my lap & we will sit together which I love. He's been a bit under the weather this week, but I've been getting lots of snuggles.

Chrissy@SimpleJoysBlog said...

Such a sweet post! I love moments like that, too! Last night my 23 month old let me hold her like a baby and she never lets me hold her like that anymore....it goes so fast!

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

I LOVE sweet little moments like these!