Thursday, April 3, 2014

thoughts on cloth diapering. part 2

So a week or so ago I was talking about diapers - cloth and disposable and all that stuff. You can read about it here if you want to.

Anyhow, after nearly a year of using disposables (and loving the ease of them) I decided to try cloth out. I had the liners, covers, and a few prefolds from my sisters, so I figured why not? One Saturday morning I worked up my courage (as if it really needs courage) and I got the stuff out and snapped a cloth diaper on E like I had been doing it all along. It was super simple and looked cute to boot.



That morning I waited for his diaper to leak. But it didn't. The rest of the day I used up all the prefolds I had and then decided I was going to go the cloth route.

Maybe a little rash, but at the same time it wasn't. I had been thinking about using cloth diapers for nearly two years, I was just finally going to make the change.


I made this decision because of a few reasons but mostly it came down to one: it will save us money and be much cheaper in the long run. Especially if we have another little one (hopefully in a few years). After doing the math, buying a few cloth inserts for the gDiapers I already had would equal out to what the cost of the next two to three boxes of diapers would cost, and I knew I would be purchasing a lot more than three boxes of diapers before potty training. Especially with a husband in school we are trying to make our dollars stretch as far as possible, so cloth diapering seemed like an obvious way to help do that.

A few other factors that I considered were the fact that I stay home all. the. time. If we were traveling a lot or if we were out and about all of the time, it might be more trouble, but I pretty much never leave this little ol' house so there goes that excuse. (Even when we went on our trip recently to see family, I just took the cloth diapers with me and a little wet bag, it really wasn't more work or hassle to use cloth. Though for church I do use disposables, it's just the polite thing to do y'all).

And really, using cloth diapers isn't hard or tricky or anything. It's kind of nice. In fact, there is something happy (and possibly even rewarding) about seeing the diapers drying on the rack or stacked neatly in the drawer waiting to be used. They are colorful and cheerful. And by golly, if they aren't the cutest little thing to chase around on E's tiny little booty each night before bath time.

I am by no means a cloth diaper expert, but if you have any questions about it I'd be more than happy to offer my two cents.


What are your thoughts about diapering? I know there is no right or wrong way to diaper your baby, it's just whatever is best for you and your baby, just as long as that booty is covered, cause well, that would just be a hot mess.... What method do you use?  Obviously, I have done and loved both but for now and in our future cloth is our diapering choice :)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Every time I look at you blog I'm always tricked into thinking you live in Seattle because of your husband's photo on the side! :) Ha!

We also love cloth diapering! Currently our washing machine is broken and the part is taking FOREVER to get in, so we have been in disposables for a couple of weeks. The thing I think most people don't realize is that it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" kind of deal. You can use disposables and cloth as it suits your needs! Great post!

Sarah said...

LOVE reading posts about mommas switching to, or trying out cloth! I clothed my first and plan to do it again with baby girl coming this summer! I actually wasn't a lover of prefolds. I went with FuzziBunz perfect fit and loved them!

Sara McCarty said...

I didn't cloth diaper, but am always fascinated to hear how it works for other moms. I love the concept, but it seems like so much work. You'll have to update us on how it's all going a few months from now. Maybe we'll end up switching as well.

Charlotte said...

I've always wanted to cloth diaper but it's so intimidating!! Looking forward to seeing updates on how it worked out for you.