Friday, May 9, 2014

baby books, teeth, and other things [five on friday]

As always, I have a few things floating around in my head, here are the top five ... 

[one] Shutterfly
So, I've been working on a book for Emerson since before his first birthday. You know, the scrapbooks you can do on Shutterfly? That's what I'm talking about. This is my problem: how the heck am I supposed to choose what pictures to use for his 20 page book? I know I could pay more money and then have as many pages as I want, but I'm cheap and paying for more than 20 pages is not in the budget. How do you sum up your child's first year of life in 20 pages? Oh goodness. Though I must say, while working sporadically on that book it made me even more grateful for this blog. I know you might not all care about when E tried his first bite of real food, started crawling, saying mama, and other things like that; but I am hoping that one day he looks back on all of his monthly update posts and thinks how cute or funny it was. If nothing else, I know I will enjoy looking back on it one day.  

[two] Baby Book 
Speaking of baby memories and such, I am having a little dilemma. I have a record book for Emerson, I bought it before he was born and have written in it over the months. Even when I bought it I didn't love it. I just knew I needed one before the baby came [hello, pregnancy crazies] and that was the only decent one I could find. So I bought it. But, I saw the perfect baby book for Emerson the other day on Zulily. It's a woodland critter book - just like his nursery is, and well, I'm convinced he needs it. So, do I buy it and trash the other one after I copy everything into the new one? Or do I just stick with the one I have now that I really don't like at all? Please, tell me what I should do [and quickly as it is on Zulily and it might be gone in an hour!] 

source - but please don't buy them all out before make up my mind! :) 

[three] Root Canal 
Back in December I went to the dentist thinking I would need a filling. So it was not much of a surprise when my dentist told me there was work to be done, though I was rather dismayed. During the weeks that followed I had issues with that tooth. Pain, tenderness, soreness, and a little bit of swelling. I called my doctor numerous times asking him questions about this or that and he would tell me to try this or that and for a while afterwards everything was fine. This week I noticed some major swelling in my gums and was scared that I might need a root canal. Turns out, I do. Ugh. So, I am in the process of making an appointment to have it looked at and hopefully taken care of very soon. Not my idea of fun. 

[four] Summer Clothes?  
When Summer and warmer temperatures come around each year my choice of clothing for staying cool is skirts. Maybe it's because I grew up wearing skirts [in PNG women wore skirts - pants were a big taboo! ... though you think that would make me hate them and never want to wear them ever again], or because there are so many cute and fun styles and patterns, or because I'm too lazy and find no enjoyment in working out which makes my legs completely tone-less, which in turn makes my thighs one thing I really don't want to see or show to the world. But with chasing a little one around all the time, I am thinking that shorts might be a must this year [and in future years] so I can stay modest and keep cool in the heat. Maybe some like these wouldn't be too bad? What do you wear to stay cool in the summer? Am I the only weird one who isn't fond of shorts? yes, probably so. 


[five] Mother's Day 
We don't have any big plans for Mother's Day this year. We're staying home and our day will probably look a lot like every other day. But I'm sure it will be special in and of it's own just because it is a day that is set aside to celebrate mamas. I won't see my own mom or my mother-in-law, but I will be celebrating my second (!?!) Mother's Day as a mama to Emerson. Crazy. I think Landon has something up his sleeve because the grabbed a receipt that was laying on the table from me the other day when he usually throws them my way for me to put away :)  

To all you mamas or mamas to be out there, I hope you have a very Happy Mother's Day! 


Five on Friday
linking up with these ladies here





3 comments:

Alisha said...

I am a total crazy mommma when it comes to baby books and have purchased 2 other ones before I found the "perfect" one. I personally threw the old ones out. I just didn't want to keep ones that I knew I would never look at again.

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

I say go for the new baby book! It's something you'll have forever, so you want to love it. I have one I'm obsessed with, yet haven't written more than a page in. #mamafail

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

I'm turning my blog into Aislynn's baby book. They have cool websites to print it out and turn it into a book.