Thursday, May 29, 2014

listening to other's two cents

Over the past few years I've really started to notice just how much everyone loves to share their stories and advice. I don't mind listening at all, as I'm not too chatty so I'm happy to listen, I also like to learn so this is a great way to get new ideas and such. So listening to others give their advice can be especially helpful and wonderful if they share great advice, but I've had some people share their ideas of how I should be doing things better/right or how I'm doing them wrong and that has not been the greatest. 


Apparently the advice giving [receiving] only intensifies once you become pregnant and have a baby. Everyone wants to share their two cents with you, how they did it, what you're doing right or doing wrong, what you should do differently... 

Smile, nod, and thank them for sharing with you. 

Then when you go home or leave or return to whatever it was you were doing you can decide in your mind if you like what they said, thought it was ridiculous, or thought it was just plain rude. But the good thing is that you can do what you think is best for you and your family. 

Shortly after Emerson was born there was lots of advice given to me. I tried to graciously listen to it, but in the end I did what I thought was best for us. Hopefully I seemed as gracious as I was trying to be. Now that Emerson is older I am still happy to hear stories and ideas when it comes to raising a toddler, but if it's something I don't agree with I just smile, nod, and go on my merry way. You just can't let it eat at you. Sure, sometimes it's okay to vent to your hubby or friend, but don't let it simmer for too long. 

Anyhow, that's that. What are your thoughts when it comes to advice giving/givers? Have you had anyone give you some crazy advice? How did you handle it? Do share! You can link up, comment, or do both! I love to hear from you and read your stories! 






From Here to EternityWords About Waverly
my delicious adventure Photobucket
My Delicious Adventure                  The Life Of Faith
Running From The LawThe Olive Tree
         

May 8:          Taming the Temper Tantrums
May 15:        Weaning from Breastfeeding or From Formula to Cow’s Milk 
May 22:        Dealing with Mommy Guilt
May 29:        When People Share Their Opinions and How to Lovingly Handle it
June 5:         Traveling with your Toddler
June 12:       How to get your toddler to eat their veggies…or their food at all
June 19:       How to make time to blog in the busyness of motherhood
June 26:       Bedtime Battles (nap or bedtime)

3 comments:

Ashley @ Words About Waverly said...

Yes - take what you want and let the other go in and out the ear!!! ;)

Rachel Lynn said...

Being pregnant with my first, and yes advice comes out of the woodwork! I've done a lot of reading and research and observation of siblings/in-laws as they raised their children...and I am firm in what I want to do with mine. So I do listen, smile, and nod. Then walk away :)

Courtney B said...

Yes, yes!! I'm totally with you on the smile and nod, then decide if that advice/opinion is worth remembering!