Thursday, May 22, 2014

mommy guilt?

Mommy guilt is something I have both heard and read about. Other mamas are talking about it and it's in magazines, on blogs, and occasionally the monthly update newsletters that I get each month.  But it isn't something that I seem to struggle with. At least, not right now in this stage of our life. For that I am thankful. 

There are times when I wonder if I'm doing the whole mom thing right: am I using the right soap? giving him a well balanced diet? reading enough with him? playing enough with him? giving him enough independent play time? Am I ignoring him? teaching him what is right from wrong? letting him learn from doing? Am I discipling him the right way? did he watch too many shows today while I fixed dinner? Am I talking enough, cause he still isn't? Should I check on him while he sleeps, he's been sick? Is it okay to not give him a big fancy Pinterest perfect party? Is he too hot? too cold? Did he just pick up dog poop -is he going to be okay?! And on and on... 

It's a good thing I have a pretty 'eh' attitude about a lot of things. Because the truth of it is, if I do have these thoughts it usually ends with, "eh, he's fine," or "eh, it's all good." Except for the dog poop - then we washed his hands before we let him put them back into his mouth. 


But then I think that God gave us Emerson because he knew that we could love him best and teach him right. We have been trusted with his precious little life. So each day I try to make the most of it. I play or read when Emerson wants to, I give him space when he needs it, I feed him things that he is eating [and pray that he'll be ok if he only eats crackers for lunch], and teach him how to take turns when the opportunity arrises. 

All I can do is do my best and show him love and best I can by being there for him when he needs me. I think God has given us each what we need and the grace to make the most of it. Some days are harder than others, but each day is a blessing and a gift -hair pulling, fits, giggles, cries, sickness, cuddles and all. 


I think it's so important to remember that whatever we do, we do because we love our kiddos and we want what's best for them. They will see and know your love for them in the countless things you do for them each and every day. 

What about you? What are your experiences with mommy guilt? Do you deal with it every day? I'd love to hear your story, link up [and/or comment] to share! :) 






From Here to EternityWords About Waverly
my delicious adventure Photobucket
My Delicious Adventure                  The Life Of Faith
Running From The LawThe Olive Tree
         

May 8:          Taming the Temper Tantrums
May 15:        Weaning from Breastfeeding or From Formula to Cow’s Milk 
May 22:        Dealing with Mommy Guilt
May 29:        When People Share Their Opinions and How to Lovingly Handle it
June 5:         Traveling with your Toddler
June 12:       How to get your toddler to eat their veggies…or their food at all
June 19:       How to make time to blog in the busyness of motherhood
June 26:       Bedtime Battles (nap or bedtime)

3 comments:

Natalie | Mrs. Janney | said...

Most of my mom guilt comes from being a working mom. The fact that someone else spends more waking time with my baby than I do. Since staying home with Henry isn't an option for us (financially since my husband is in grad school), the best thing I can do is make sure he is with the best daycare provider possible. So he is. His teachers love him and take care of him. They teach him sign language and how to share. But the mom guilt is still there.

Sara McCarty said...

So well said. Lovely post.

Courtney B said...

Love, love, love this! I'm totally on the same page as you! I think it's a blessing to be able to let most of the issues that a lot of mom's struggle with just roll off my shoulders! We'll see how easily I'm able to do that once we start adding more kids to the mix, HA!