Tuesday, July 15, 2014

a weekend at grandpa's and grandma's

This weekend we got to visit my grandparents. Last June Emerson and I went to spend a few days with them and then they came up for a short visit in August before we moved. It had been that long since seeing them, and even longer since Landon had seen them. With my family being spread out across the world it makes for trickier family get togethers, and having lots of family there is even more rare. While I might visit a sister here or there or see my brother there or uncle here.... it's never all at the same time. Not that my whole family was together at my grandparents, but in addition to seeing them, we also got to visit with one of my aunts and uncles and their families.

On Friday afternoon my grandpa took us out for ice-cream in this neat little tiny town next to theirs. We walked around and licked up our ice-cream on the hot summer southern day that it was. It was delightfully perfect.


For some reason, Emerson is not a huge fan of cold treats. No ice-cream or sherbet for him, he'll stick to cookies and cake. I can't say that I blame him... even though I love ice-cream, there is nothing better than a good cookie. Plus, it's probably a good thing that he doesn't really like ice-cream considering as how it's not the greatest thing for a person to eat [even though I just may eat it almost every chance I get :].




We got to just walk along and look at all of the little shops that were all lined up. It was a simple way to spend the afternoon, which is good, because that's the way I like it. Maybe I get my love for simple things from my grandparents?




That evening one of my aunts and one of my uncles came for dinner with their families. We spent the evening playing games, chatting, and chasing little ones around. It was a really sweet way to end the day. It was also the first time for Emerson to meet some of his uncles and cousins.


After Emerson went to bed, I had the privilege to listen to my Grandpa share some of his childhood memories and reflect on what is important in life. I have never met a wiser or more godly man in my life. He lives his life for the Lord, and it truly is evident to all around him. After talking for a bit with him, before he went off to bed, he just stopped what he was doing to pray for me and my little family and our travels. In the morning before we pulled out of their driveway he gathered my little family around and said another prayer over us. He is such a wonderful example of what it is to live your life for the Lord. I am blessed to call him my grandpa as is Emerson to call him his great-grandpa. I pray that I can life just a life and be such an example to my children and grandchildren one day.

I hope you all had lovely weekends too!


2 comments:

Susannah said...

<3 What a fun time with family!

Lauren said...

what a great weekend! so glad Emerson got to spend some time with his great grandparents!