Monday, July 21, 2014

it was my birthday

Yesterday was my birthday, and now I am even closer to 30 than I ever have been before in my life. Yikes! Though I suppose that's how it has worked each year for the past 20 some past years. Anyhow... It was my birthday. This past week we were at the beach [if you follow me on instagram you may have picked up on that, but I never really like to make my whereabouts very knows to the blog world ... you know, just looking out for me and my little ol' family] and we had a really delightful time. One of our last nights at the beach when we went out for dinner they [my hubs and his sister] told our waitress that it was my birthday [even though technically it was going to be in two days... but, we would be driving in on my birthday and not eating at a super nice restaurant, so where's the fun in that?] so I was treated with a very yummy birthday dessert. And then my hubs' family and the two other families that were with us decided to sing "Happy Birthday" to me... so embarrassing... but I suppose it was worth it for the birthday dessert :) 


I tried sharing with Emerson, but he just not a fan of ice-cream, and he didn't really want the bread pudding either. Oh, well... more for me, right? :)


On Saturday Landon, Emerson, and I made the 11ish hour drive to his parents house where we were staying for the night. Oh goodness...  His family arrived a few hours after us and brought pizza home with them for supper. Then, before I knew it his little sister was bringing a cake out to me! What?! I was quite surprised, though now that I think about it, I shouldn't have been as his family is super thoughtful like that. The cake even had candles on it! So I got to enjoy more yummy birthday cake: an Oreo blizzard ice-cream cake. It was yum!


And I got to open a really pretty present! It was so pretty I didn't want to open it! Do you ever get presents like that? Oh, it's so fun!

I just really like how Emerson is eating a spoon in this picture :)  

He was even sweet enough to help me unwrap it. I'm sure by Christmas he will be all about opening presents! I got a few really nice things: a new handbag, a hat [for the beach - my thoughtful hubs insisted that I open it early so I could use it on our vacation, I'm so glad I did. Usually, I hate opening gifts early, it's more fun to open them all on my birthday or Christmas, you know, whenever the special day is. Are any of you like that or am I the only one?], some shorts, and a new computer [which is technically also my anniversary, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and any and every other holiday/gift giving occasion until my next birthday. But hey, I don't mind one bit :]! I got to open the laptop early too because our desktop was/is dead. So I have been getting used to my new little computer and am liking it quite a lot. It's so nice and portable.

and I really love Emerson's expression in this picture :] 

I also got to talk to/text all of my brothers and sisters and my parents. We don't always get to talk very often, especially my brothers and I since, well, one lives across the world and the fact that they are boys and for some reason boys don't really like to just call to chit-chat like my sisters and I do. But it was nice to talk to them for a bit. I had just talked to my older brother a few days before for his birthday so he just sent a little text wishing me a happy day -not a whole lot happens in a few days you know.
 

On my actual real birthday my Mother-in-law [that sounds so formal] fixed a nice big breakfast, and Landon's grandparents came over to see Emerson for a bit, then the three of us loaded up the car, again, and drove the five-ish hours home. And oh, I have never been more happy to be home. Emerson took a nap, I unpacked some surf from our trip, and then we went on a walk to the park and played there for a little bit.

So I guess I kind of had a Birthday weekend. ha. It was fun though. And crazy that I am another year older. Each year I think back on previous birthdays, where I was, how old I was, what I was doing. I remember really starting to do this on my 17th birthday when I was sitting in Starbucks in Chiang Mai, Thailand before going to the night market. And each year since then I think about all that has happened and changed, about who I am and who I am becoming. It is crazy to think it has been so long since that night in Starbucks, crazy to think of all of the ways God has blessed me over the years. Exciting to think about what is to come. Though I think about those things often, it seems like your birthday is the perfect time to reflect on all of the many blessings from God.

I hope you all had a happy weekend!


8 comments:

Alisha said...

So fun! Happy Birthday, sweet girl!

Susannah said...

Happy belated birthday!!!! :-D

Mason's Mama said...

Aww, happy birthday! Thirties aren’t too bad. How was the beach? We haven’t made it to the beach this Summer, but we are wanting to! You are right, that present was pretty!

Lauren said...

sounds like a fabulous birthday! my MIL is famous for having beautifully wrapped packages that we don't want to open!

Rachel Lynn said...

Long birthday weekends are the best...this year my hubby's was on a Tuesday, so he pulled it into a whole week!

Happy Birthday!

Ashley @ Words About Waverly said...

Happy birthday, 30 isn't so bad!! ;)

Living Out of Wedlock said...

Happy late Birthday!

Amy said...

Happy Belated Birthday!