Friday, September 26, 2014

count the little things. they are blessings.

These days we have been seeing less of Landon, he's been staying even more busy than usual and is working long days and even late into the night. I try to tell comfort myself with the knowledge that I do get to see him, he is home and not far off from us, and that he does try to arrange his schedule and work load so he can at least have dinner with us each night. So even if we don't see him for more than that time, at least we can have dinner together. After dinner he'll be home but is usually working away on his research and such. At least he's home.

It might not be so bad if I had another friend here. At least that's what I like to tell myself. It may be pathetic, but even a year after moving to Illinois I still have yet to make a connection with someone and call them my friend. I can give excuses - I work at home, babysitting, and I really can't get out of the house other than to go on walks to the park. [I'm just thankful I can do that much.] But meeting people has been difficult. And this season of life is proving to be such a challenge. I know we're here because this is where and what God has called Landon to do; and I want to support and encourage him in any way I can. But golly. It is hard. I find myself wishing we were at the end of his program so we could "get on with our lives" - even though we are very much living these days. I wish he could be done so that I could feel a sense of stability. It's hard to really invest when you know you're only going to be here for a few years. Even though I want friendship while I'm here. It's just hard to make a friend when you really are stuck at home all day every day.


On days like these ones I have to remind myself to count my blessings. To count all of the little gifts that I am given each and every day.

- a rich sunrise full of deep purples, pinks, and oranges
- hugs from my little munchkin man
- sloppy wet open mouth kisses from the same little guy
- walks in the fresh air
- cooler weather
- exploring at the park
- the babies toddling around the big open green field
- nap time
- a cup of warm coffee
- burning candles
- twinkle lights
- pumpkins and mums
- little chubby hands splashing water in the kitchen sink
- blowing bubbles and chalk scribbles
- the hope of things to come
- the promise of a faithful God

In hopes of encouraging myself I try to write these blessings out. I encourage you to do the same: count the little blessings and gifts that you are given each and every day.



Sorry to be so blue, but I just had to get that out there. Sometimes it just helps me to write it out. Because then it's left my little brain and finger tips and life can go on again. 



2 comments:

Sienna said...

such a great sentiment and reminder, we do need to count our blessings and remember the little things, it's so easy to forget them and get bogged down in negativity

Jillian said...

well I am happy this little friend here is going to get to come visit you so very soon!!! :)