Monday, September 29, 2014

little weekend surprises

Friday afternoon Landon called me and asked if I was up for going to have dinner with some people. It was the perfect little surprise and of course I was more than happy to go. One of the guys he has started playing basketball with has a little family and they invited us over to their home for a Friday night dinner. A few weeks ago we had them over for dinner, but we hadn't seen them or talked to them since. I figured they just didn't like us. Or they were just busy. Probably the busy one :) I wasn't really worried about it, since they stayed late at our house. Like, they brought a pack n play to put their son down to bed in so they could stay and chat. Which they did for a few hours after the babies went to sleep. It was really nice to sit around and talk with people in a similar life stage as us. Anyhow, we went over to their house and had some yummy dinner and were able to stay for a while afterwards and just chat. If Emerson were one for sleeping well in places other than his bed, we would have laid him down at his bed time. As it was, he just played quietly while we visited with each other. He was so good. And as we were getting ready to leave he even started to pick up the toys without being told to. We are so thankful for that little peanut! We were also thankful for dinner with some people [new friends?].

After breakfast on Saturday Landon surprised us again by saying he would go grocery shopping with us. Usually it's something that just Emerson and I do, but it was nice to have Landon tag along. The rest of the day was pretty chill, we hung out around the house, went for a walk, played at the park, E took a nap. You know, the usual. Another little surprise for me was that Landon decided he could take the afternoon off [I guess that's one perk of being a PhD student...] so he played with Emerson while I went on a few errands, by myself. Crazy. I almost didn't know what to do with myself.

it was such a chill weekend that I only got a picture of E getting ready for bed. ha. 

The rest of the weekend was pretty chill. Sunday after church Landon asked what I wanted to do for lunch. Even though I plan meals out for the whole week, Sunday lunch always seems to get me. It's like I forget to plan for it or something. I don't know. He surprised me when he asked me if I wanted to go out for lunch. What?! We never go out. So it was a fun little surprise and outing.

I like the simple little weekends like these ones, it's even better when Landon doesn't have to work. Anyhow, that was my exciting weekend :)


3 comments:

Alisha said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, my goodness! Making friends as an adult is something I find really hard, especially ones that are in the same "life phase" that you are in. Yay for new friends. :) (And, great weekends too!!)

Lauren said...

man, having unexpected time to yourself can be awesome! but sometimes I truly don't know what to even do when it comes along!

Amy said...

It's so hard to find friends that are at our stage in life. I'm so glad that you & your husband found that.

And can I just say that when Luke comes grocery shopping with us, it is like the best day ever! Normally, it's just Cash & I during the week. But on those off chances that Luke actually comes with & is the snack holder, it's fantastic! I can actually read my list without rereading it over & over again because of fruit snacks & sticky fingers in the way. :)