Thursday, October 16, 2014

busy little bee

As I was thinking about what activities keep Emerson busy this is what I came up with: books and sometimes a toy here or there. So I don't have much to offer on the topic today, sorry, but it's true. He really is so good about playing on his own or with his little buddy Bee. Emerson is a pretty independent little guy. Sure he likes to read books together or climb on my back if I'm laying on the floor, but I don't really have to have a closet full of special activities for him. If I'm fixing a meal in the kitchen he is usually pretty good about playing with what ever he finds [sometimes that means getting into the trash... but he's getting better about that] or if he is starving I just put a show on for him to watch which entertains him enough so that he forgets he's dying of hunger. But that's really the only time he watches a show.  


There are a few activities we do each day: go for a walk, play at the park [weather permitting of course], read books, sing songs, dance, color, blow bubbles, and color with chalk. It's not much, but he seems to enjoy these little things. 

Though, as the days slowly get colder and I know that all too soon it will be far too cold to even venture outside to color with chalk or blow bubbles, I've been trying to think of fun and different indoor activities to do with him. You know, change it up a bit. He's getting older so I know I can [and should] start doing more fun little activities with him, but sometimes I'm just at a loss of what to do [or I'm too lazy to do it... that's really bad, I know] or convince myself he's too young to do that, so instead of trying something new with him, we just don't do it. I should do better... 

This is where I'm hoping you'll share your wisdom and awesome ideas with me. What are some of the activities you do with your toddler? What cheap [better yet, free] things do you cook up to do together or let them do on their own? I would love to do more with Emerson but I'm stuck... can you please help? :)  As always, thanks! 



 What are you favorite toddler busy bags or activities?  Check out the other mama's blogs for their ideas.  And be sure to link up with us below if you also have a post on this topic. 


In the difficulty of motherhood, it's so important to find other mamas to relate to.  Toddlers can be a handful and leave you wondering what to do next.  This series is here to help you navigate through toddlerhood while being able to relate to other mamas going through the same thing.  We may not always know what we are doing but we give it our best shot anyway.  Come back each week to check out our new topic and read along with the other hosts of our One Year and Beyond series!
 
Oct 2:     Toddler Diaper Bag Essentials 
Oct 9:     Learning to love your post-pregnancy body
Oct 16:   Busy Toddler Activities
Oct 23:   Keeping in Shape While Caring for a Toddler
Oct 30:   Sick Day Tips
Nov 6:    How to Not Lose Your Patience with your Toddler
Nov 13:  Favorite Toddler Outings

4 comments:

Susannah said...

How awesome that he's so good at independent play! I'm hoping Caleb is that way!!! :-)

Amy said...

I'm very fortunate that Cash is very good at independent play, too. Cash really enjoys stickers or water colors.

Have you made a sensory bin? Colored rice, colored noodles, sticks & leaves. Anything really can go in there. I add trucks, scoops, bowls, little dinos, etc.

During the winter time, I bring snow inside in a bucket & let Cash play with that.

Tami Q said...

What have you done to contribute to your child being independent in play? My son will play on his own as long as I'm not doing anything. If I get busy with my laptop or housework, he's in the middle of me. Is that the case with all little ones, or have is it just mine?

Courtney B said...

I'm realizing as I'm reading these posts that I'm probably the only mom who doesn't sing to/with Mia! Ugh!! I hate singing but she won't know if I have a bad voice, right? I'm determined to add singing time into each day now!