Thursday, October 23, 2014

tips for staying fit - not found here :)

I laughed a little bit when I realized this was the week to talk about exercise as a mama. I laughed because, well, I don't exercise. I used to, and it was nice and good, and I felt great about my body. But now? I don't. I tried a few times to work out after Emerson was born, but it just didn't become a regular habit. If I had access to a gym [or could afford one], I would probably go, as long as there was a child care option. Probably. I could do some workout stuff at home, Landon's taught me a few things I can do, I've read about things I can do, but honestly, I would much rather sit on the couch when Emerson is sleeping than get a little exercise in. Bad, I know, but it's true. If I had a class to go to, there would be more motivation and all, but there isn't. Really the only times I can get a little work out in are early in the morning before Emerson wakes up, nap time, or after he goes down for the night. I'm not getting up any earlier in the day to get sweaty. I'm not going to 'waste' my nap time hours on that either. And then by the end of the day, it's the last thing I want to do. I have dishes to clean up and a floor to sweep... and I just want to sit. I'm sure that if I got into a routine of working out again I would love it. But I'm not sure when that's going to happen. Next year? 


Sometimes I'll do something good for my body like run. Like last Thanksgiving I ran the Turkey Trot with my sister [who is a professional runner]. I felt pretty good about my efforts that morning [and also I felt very athletic looking. She had all of the right clothes to make me feel like a runner - I really do think the "right" clothes make a huge difference when it comes to working out], I mean I was running in the snow. Proud moment for me. 

But for the most part I like to count walking up and down two flights of stairs with a toddler on each hip a minimum of 10 times a day plenty of exercise [plus the multiple other times I go up and down my myself]. It's good for my legs and arms. probably should do some crunches for my abs... I also go on daily walks with the little one[s] and chase them around the park for an hour or so. Though, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep that up once it starts snowing. 

All in all, I have good intentions and ideas, but I don't follow through when it comes to exercising. It's bad I know. It's just the way it is right now. Maybe one day?  

 How have you fit exercise into motherhood?  Check out the other mama's blogs for their stories.  And be sure to link up with us below if you also have a post on this topic. 


In the difficulty of motherhood, it's so important to find other mamas to relate to.  Toddlers can be a handful and leave you wondering what to do next.  This series is here to help you navigate through toddlerhood while being able to relate to other mamas going through the same thing.  We may not always know what we are doing but we give it our best shot anyway.  Come back each week to check out our new topic and read along with the other hosts of our One Year and Beyond series!
 
Oct 2:     Toddler Diaper Bag Essentials 
Oct 9:     Learning to love your post-pregnancy body
Oct 16:   Busy Toddler Activities
Oct 23:   Keeping in Shape While Caring for a Toddler
Oct 30:   Sick Day Tips
Nov 6:    How to Not Lose Your Patience with your Toddler
Nov 13:  Favorite Toddler Outings

2 comments:

kelseylynae said...

This is totally me too. Although, I don't even have good intentions to work out. HA! The softball girls made me to their ab workout every monday-wednesday-friday with them though. Brent got T25 and thinks I need to do that with him...

Give me a ball and I'll workout for hours in a game [basketball, softball], or weights and a program, but running or home workout videos? Forget it.

Sarah @ The Not Quite Military Wife said...

Haha, I'm loving your honesty!! I don't do any TRUE workouts but I'm pretty sure chasing after toddlers counts as an exercise!