Wednesday, October 22, 2014

what's cookin' good lookin'?

One of my weekly chores is writing a menu for the following week. It's not my favorite chore, but it's definetly not my least favorite chore either. Dusting, anyone? But it does come with a little bit of thinking [more than I like to do these days]. I don't mind cooking; I love baking. If I could bake us a dinner [think cinnamon rolls, pumpkin bread, and the like] every night that would be a different story. But I can't do that. Often times I get stuck in a rut and we eat the same things week in and week out. For a while I was pretty good about trying new things on a weekly basis. Since I'm on the lookout for good meals I thought I would share a few with you all, and hope that you might share some of your favorites with me. Please?

These past few weeks [or months really I suppose] some of the new recipes I've added in are keepers, some are "maybe once a month", and some are never again recipes. Here are some of the ones I've tried [semi] recently and like:

Apple pie pancakes. We have brinner [you know, breakfast for dinner] once a week. I like it, Landon likes it, and Emerson likes it. We have an abundance of apples right now and they are super cheap at the grocery store, so I thought it'd be yummy to make these guys the other night. When Landon walked in the house he said it smelled like Cracker Barrel. I'll take that as a complement. This recipe made just enough pancakes for us to eat -with bacon and eggs. I would double it next time or if I were making it for four people [or three grown up people]. But it was simple to make and yummy to eat.


Mediterranean Pork and Orzo. I've been making this dish for several months now. It's in one of my Taste of Home cookbooks [but I found it online while I was looking for a picture :]. It's super simple, quick, and yummy. It also makes a lot. Usually Landon is able to take the leftovers for lunch the next day. After making it almost weekly I've started throwing the pork in the hot skillet and then just sprinkling pepper on it. It saves a little bit of time. Also, I start the water to boil first. I don't wait until the pork is cooking, like the recipe suggests to do. I also buy the stewing pork, they're already cut into little bits [though I find I still cute fat bits off of them...] or whatever is cheapest and just make do with it. It's still pork [even though I pick most of mine out -I'm not a huge meat eater]. I also use a whole cup of feta cheese, it's sold in 8 oz containers, so I just dump it all in. Much tastier I tell ya.  It's become one of my favorites to make and to eat. yum. yum.

source sorry for the blurry picture. 

Ravioli Lasagna. This was a recipe that I saw in a Taste of Home magazine I have been getting lately [no, they are not sponsoring this post, I just happen to really like their cookbooks :]. It looked different and good so I gave it a try. It's pretty good and very easy to put together. I used Italian sausage instead of ground beef, but I'm sure it would be good with the beef. This isn't a weekly recipe, maybe more of a once a month of so type recipe [at least for us].


BBQ Cups. A few years ago one of my friends made these for dinner and shared some with me; I thought they were pretty good. After that night I made them for Landon and he thought they were so so. Well, a few nights ago we had a slight misunderstanding about dinner and I hadn't been able to go grocery shopping for the week. I looked around my kitchen, remembered the time my friend had made these, and found I had all the ingredients for these little bbq cups. So I made them. The recipe I found and linked below suggests 1/2 -1 cup of bbq sauce, I added 1 cup and it was too much. Next time I'll add 1/2 and then we can just add what we want while eating it if it's not enough. It was too saucy with a whole cup. This is super simple, quick, and pretty good. I don't like a lot of meat and I liked these. They kind of resemble meatloaf, but they're better. Also, Emerson loved them. He ate two and wanted more. Sadly I couldn't give him any more because I only made two free of bbq sauce for him [he's allergic to tomato]. Because E seemed to gobble these things up, I think it's a recipe I'll start making a little more frequently.


There are a few other meals we've been enjoying lately, but I'll save those for another day ... and also for when I actually remember to take pictures of the food. I'm usually so eager to eat dinner that I don't take a picture. Anyhow, those are some of the things I've been cooking up lately. What about you? Any weekly favorites you fix for dinner?


2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, my! All of these sound delightful, especially the pancakes and Mediterranean pork.

I enjoy meal planning. I'm not sure why. I'm not one who likes to spend hours and hours cooking, but I do like knowing a healthy (most of the time) meal is on the table.

Some of my favorites:
http://theozingaoutlook.blogspot.com/2013/12/chicken-tortilla-soup.html

http://theozingaoutlook.blogspot.com/2013/01/chicken-parmesan-soup.html

http://theozingaoutlook.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheesy-chicken-veggie-pasta.html

http://theozingaoutlook.blogspot.com/2013/10/old-fashioned-meat-loaf.html

Lauren said...

those pancakes look delicious!!! We LOVE having breakfast for dinner...because who has time to actually fix a BIG breakfast at breakfast time!