Friday, November 7, 2014

a drive and a visit.

It's November. The start of my beloved holiday season. Thanksgiving. Christmas. How I love them so. And the days leading up to them are so merry. I can't wait to get started on some Christmas shopping and have good visits with family.

one. an adventure and a visit. Yesterday I didn't have to babysit [again] and thought it would be nice to do something fun and different from our day to day or just staying home with Emerson. After breakfast I packed up the car for a little day trip to visit my good friend Carrie. I was a little anxious about the trip because I'd be driving alone with a toddler for two hours, one way, and I wasn't sure how it would go. But he did amazing. I got him in his seat, put on a show for him to watch and he just sat back there happy as could be. I really don't know how we would do long trips without a show for him to watch. We didn't have to stop at all for any breaks, I just pulled over a few times to play the show for him to watch. Even on our way home, he was amazing -and it was dinner time. No fussing or whining. I gave him a cup of crackers and he nibbled on those while he watched his show. When the show would end he'd say, "Oh noo! Nonononono!" At which point I would find an appropriate place to pull over as soon as possible.

we had such a good trip and visit that I didn't even take a single picture, this is from a different trip. That's when you know you have a good time ... you're just too busy enjoying life. 

two. the visit. We arrived around lunch time and were able to spend the afternoon with Carrie and her little nugget. The boys didn't play together, they just kind of did their own thing. Though, that's kind of what I was expecting. They were cute and Emerson loved all of the fancy new toys that are so different from his own.

three. nap time. Have I ever said how much I love nap time? I love it. Even though Emerson wasn't acting sleepy at all and was playing so sweetly with the fun toys, I decided he should probably take a nap. I didn't really want to pull him away from the toys, because he was being so good, but I know what a day is like with no naps, and it's not fun. ... so I hoped that it would be a good one and that even though he'd nap while we were visiting he would still be an angel on the car ride home. He did both: a good nap and a great trip home.

four. chit-chat. One of the best parts about this visit was seeing Carrie again after months of not seeing her. It really had been too long. They boys were so sweet and thoughtful that they napped at the same time so we could talk without being distracted by the little munchkins. It was so nice to be able to talk to a friend and not have to go through all of the "get to know you" type conversations. But to know the person you're talking to and not having to filter your conversation is so nice. Even though it was just a day trip, that visit filled my cup. It was well worth the driving, I'm just glad I had a day off so I could go for a visit. If only we still lived close to each other, that would be nice...

five. an update of sorts. A few weeks ago I mentioned I had the opportunity to babysit another little boy for two months. After talking to his mom some more and discussing the logistics and routine, she decided to go with another sitter. I have a routine for the babies toddlers, one of the big things being nap time in the morning. He son naps in the afternoon, and I just don't have a play place for him if the other kiddos are sleeping -because we play in Emerson's room. I told her I would be happy to watch him if he napped when they did, but that's kind of the only way I could do it. In the end she found a sitter who could better accommodate his schedule. It is a relief, in a way. Two active munchkins are a lot to handle and three... man. I would need a nap time of my own by the end of the day!

I'm linking up here with Natasha today. I hope you all have a lovely weekend!


2 comments:

Amy said...

So glad your mini road trip went great! I have never driven that far with Cash yet. You go, girl!

Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup] said...

Hey, that sounds like a big win! Good visit, good car ride, good nap, good friend!