Thursday, November 6, 2014

have patience, have patience . . .

Generally, I'm a fairly patient person. At least I think so. Sure there are those times when I'm driving and am stuck behind a tractor, for 20 minutes, on a highway, that I get a little impatient [and late to my destination]. But usually with people I'm pretty patient. Hopefully Landon would say the same thing? 


However, there are times here and there that Emerson is just plain old cranky pants for no reason and has been for a while. Or he whines, cries, and fusses as I continue to give him the wrong thing to eat for lunch or dinner. Or he wiggles and squirms non stop as I try to put lotion on him, get his pajamas on him, change his diaper, or brush his hair. Sometimes it's all of those within minutes of each other. These times are usually at the end of the day and I'm exhausted and tired and just want to read stories, cuddle, and lay him down and then go read a book on my own or something. These are the times that my patience is sometimes tried more than I would like. 

But I know that getting upset does nothing and gets me nowhere. I know that yelling does nothing and only makes me more upset -and apparently it's hilarious as I yelled once and he died in a fit of giggles. 

So, what do I do when need to cling on to the last bit of love, joy, gentleness, and patience I have? 

- count to ten, in my head. 

- whisper my words instead of using my normal voice, let alone raise it.

- sing "Have Patience",  a song I learned as a child.

- ignore it, if possible 

- remind myself that this will be over soon, like within seconds probably, and all will be cheerful again soon [and if not there is bed time/nap time in the not too distant future :] 


How do you keep from losing your patience with your toddler?  Check out the other mama's blogs for their tips.  And be sure to link up with us below if you also have a post on this topic. 


In the difficulty of motherhood, it's so important to find other mamas to relate to.  Toddlers can be a handful and leave you wondering what to do next.  This series is here to help you navigate through toddlerhood while being able to relate to other mamas going through the same thing.  We may not always know what we are doing but we give it our best shot anyway.  Come back each week to check out our new topic and read along with the other hosts of our One Year and Beyond series!
 
Oct 2:     Toddler Diaper Bag Essentials 
Oct 9:     Learning to love your post-pregnancy body
Oct 16:   Busy Toddler Activities
Oct 23:   Keeping in Shape While Caring for a Toddler
Oct 30:   Sick Day Tips
Nov 6:    How to Not Lose Your Patience with your Toddler
Nov 13:  Favorite Toddler Outings

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Haha. You better believe that "Have Patience" song will be being sung in my house quite often once Caleb is here!

Andrea Mitchael said...

What a great post! There are so many frustrations mixed in the day that you really have to get good at calming yourself down. I totally agree with you on the lowering your voice rather than raising it -- very effective and helpful!

Courtney B said...

I need to start counting to 10! That's a good idea!