Friday, November 21, 2014

shopping, toys, and thanksgiving

Just a few things on this day ... 

one. I took both babies on an outing to the grocery store. I'm sure this seems like no small task to those of you with two children or twins [or to those of you with both twins and additional children!], but for me it took a while of building up the courage to actually do it. Yes, I've taken them to the library a few times now, but the store? I needed to get a few things and wasn't sure what this afternoon/evening would look like time wise, so I loaded up the munchkins and off we went. After bundling them up, walking them inside, plopping them into a shopping cart, we managed to shop for a little while.  Four hours later and that outing seems like it was forever ago. 

two. Much to my extreme dismay and disappointment, we still have a mouse in our kitchen area [probably living behind the fridge ... ]. This morning we saw droppings in Emerson's little play shopping cart. Good gracious. And there were books and toys in the cart, so that's even better. I have yet to work up the courage to clean that cart out, but I know I can't let it sit there much longer, because, well, gross. 


three. Landon's parents and youngest sister are coming to visit us this weekend. So that's happy. This will be the one time the guest/half bath is not cleaned and prettied and tidied up before we have visitors. I just can't bring myself to go in there, let alone clean where I know a mouse could be lurking .... This thing needs to die. 

four. On a happy note I'm excited to make some Stuffed French Toast for breakfast tomorrow. I've been thinking about it all week and I just can't wait for breakfast in the morning! It's one of my favorites. I always try to make something tasty for breakfast when we have guests/family visiting. Since my in-laws come about once a month I try not to make the same things over and over [even though I'm not sure they would remember what I made for breakfast for them a month ago...] and I think it's been long enough since I've made this dish for them. Happy. 

chess pie. source

five. Next week is Thanksgiving [though I'm sure you all already knew that], and I am just so excited! I love seeing family and spending time together, especially when a really good meal is involved. We usually visit my sister in Minnesota and it's usually one of a few times I see her during the year. There are several things I love about visiting her for Thanksgiving, one of which is the food. We make the food we had for Thanksgiving and Christmas growing up. Food that I love: green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with melted marshmallows on top, stuffing, a really good shredded cheesy potato dish,  creamed corn, frog eye salad, surprise rolls, chess pie . . . oh, they are all so good. And they are foods I never get to eat which makes them even better. When we celebrate holidays with Landon's family the food is always very good too, but it's a different good. They make different dishes from what I grew up with and love and always miss around the holidays. So it's just a little more reason to love Thanksgiving with my sister. 


Linking up here


Have a cozy and bright weekend! 


1 comment:

Amy said...

Stuffed french toast sounds delicious! Hope you got rid of that mouse this weekend! How scary!