Friday, November 14, 2014

snow, soup, naps, and Christmas

It's Friday! We have a few fun things planned for this weekend, but mostly it will be pretty low key with a little of this and that and chores and what not. I thought I'd join in the fun again this week and share five things...

one. snow. Yesterday it snowed all day long, and it was wonderful. Sadly the snow didn't pile up into big beautiful piles, but it did stick, so at least there's that. These days are getting cold. While I will miss being outside, I do like the cozy feeling of being warm inside knowing that some fun holidays are coming soon. And oh, how I love the snow... I learned very quickly that Emerson LOVES it. We went outside to catch some falling flakes and that boy did not want to come back inside. Though, playing outside for those few minutes did give me an idea for a Christmas gift for him: a new warm coat and some snow pants ... and maybe boots? I'm not sure how much we'll be outside.




two. soup. The falling snowflakes made me really want some warm and yummy soup. Thankfully I had planned in advance for this [making soup that is] and had all the goods I needed for some soup. While the munchkins ate their lunch I started a pot of potato dumpling soup. It's pretty much the best soup ever. I froze some for me to enjoy later on this winter too, as I am the only current fan of soup in my house. It's really quite sad as soup is so good, there are so many kinds, you can make it on the cheap, it lasts for a while, and it's filling. I don't understand what there's not to like about soup, but my hubby is one of those people who just doesn't like it. It pretty much kills my soup spirit each winter. This year I'm determined to enjoy it though.


three. an outing with two. On Wednesday I gathered up my courage and took two little munchkins to the library's story time. An hour before it started I started getting ready to go, getting them ready, getting their things, snacks, water, books, toys .... whatever I thought might be helpful for a less stressful trip to the library. We made it almost right on time. And then we enjoyed some stories, a craft [kind of], and we joined my friend and went for pastries and coffee afterwards. I wouldn't have gone if she hadn't been there, she helped so much, at craft time, walking the littles, holding hands... Even though I didn't really get to chit-chat with the other moms, it was an outing and it was so nice to be out of the house during the day and feel like a real person. And the munchkins did great, even though they were doing things when they normally slept. The successful outing gave me the courage to do it again next week!


four. new nap time? The other day the little turkeys were playing and reading and running around like they always do, being as jolly as could be and before I knew it it was nearly 11 o'clock [usually they are napping by then]. So I just decided to feed them lunch and put them down afterwards. And I tell you what, I quite liked that afternoon nap. For some reason I felt like the day was more broken up and the night/evening hours didn't last as long as it usually does [even though there are the same amount of hours?]. Maybe it's because he was a little more rested closer to dinner time, which makes a big difference. So, now I'm thinking of making this a daily thing. Thoughts?

five. Christmas decorations? I love Christmas. It's my favorite. Every little thing about it is so special. One thing I really love about it is enjoying the Christmas tree. Growing up we always put the tree up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. But since we've been married we've kind of done the decorating on different days. We usually spend Thanksgiving with family and it's always nice to come home to a Christmas decorated home. I was thinking about decorating next weekend... but now I'm thinking about starting a little earlier, like Sunday. You know, since Thanksgiving is so late this year and all. Would that be crazy?


Anyhow. I hope you have a cheerful weekend! Maybe with some snow? Or not, if that's not your thing.


Linking up here with Darci.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

When we transitioned to one nap with Elyse we dropped the morning nap and went with the afternoon. Now at almost three she wakes around 6:30-7 in the morning and then after lunch goes down for a 2-3 hour nap. Normally she's fast asleep by 1:15, but sometimes it's earlier. This makes the day pretty easy and fast for us!

kelseylynae said...

Afternoon naps always get my vote!