Monday, December 15, 2014

a little Christmas baking

Saturday was a busy day for us. We started bright and early with a trip to the grocery store, it's how most of our Saturdays are I suppose. After we got home and unloaded the groceries I whipped up a batch of sugar cookie dough for the cookie baking we were going to be doing later that afternoon. The always has to chill, so I wanted to make sure it was ready in plenty of time for the cookies. After the cookie dough I made the icing so that would be ready to go too. 



We had a little lunch, cleaned up the lunch dishes, put Emerson down for his nap, tidied up the living room and kitchen, then started to dye the icing a few different colors. I had invited one of my friends over to make the cookies and she and her husband came to have some Christmas fun. Landon was out and about but was able to make it home in time to join the cookie party. It was a pretty long party. I had forgotten that making cut out cookies and decorating them really does take a whole day [pretty much]. 


By the time we had finished our cookie baking and decorating it was dark [which isn't saying much as it gets dark here pretty early] and time for dinner. And then it was time for Emerson to go to bed, though I could have fallen asleep then too I think. I cleaned up the kitchen [I also didn't realize that making cut out cookies uses up all of your dishes and cookie sheets. Every dish was dirty by the end of the day] and then finally was able to sit down. Whew. 
 

Our cookies may not look "Pinterest Perfect" but they were fun to make a learning experience [so I know how to change/fix the icing for next time], but they taste good for a sugar cut out cookie! I'm not sure how many cookies we made in total, but it was probably close to a hundred or something crazy. So I packed up a box of cookies for Joy and her husband and then another box for a family that just moved to the states a few months ago from China. Christmas cookies are a fun way to say welcome, right? 


Anyhow, it was a fun day and I'm happy to say I'm done with the cut out cookies for this year. Though I'm thinking I still want to make a few other kinds of cookies so ... apparently I'm not baked out. Not sure who I'll give the cookies to this time, but I do want to make some more. We shall see if that happens though, there's only one week until our Christmas adventures begin! 

Here's hoping you all had a fun weekend too! It's almost Christmas! 



5 comments:

Alisha said...

I use that same sugar cookie recipe, I love it. We are baking them tomorrow, actually. For our frosting we use a bag of powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream (use tbs as needed to create the right consistency), a tbs of orange juice, a tbs of vanilla extract, and a tbs of almond extract and everyone always goes bananas. They look delish, sweet friend.

Courtney said...

I think your cookies look great! I love how you have them bagged up in the last picture. Super cute :)

Danielle said...

Your cookies are so cute and I love the way you wrapped them.

Courtney B said...

Cutest cookies!! This looks so fun. I've decided to hold off on my holiday baking until Monday because of the birthday prep this week. But I'm excited to bake with Mia next week! (Excited... and a little terrified, HA!)

Amy said...

Yummo! Can you send some to WI please?