Monday, December 8, 2014

chick-fil-a is amazing

Our little household has always loved Chick-fil-a. When we lived in Louisville Landon and I were so excited when they built one minutes from our house. Not that we went all the time, but it made going a lot easier. It was also nice for those times we were out and didn't feel like fixing dinner or were at home and didn't feel like fixing dinner.

After we moved to Illinois we very quickly realized that there wasn't a Chick-fil-a anywhere near us. It's a shame, but it's also probably a good thing. We don't have the kind of budget to support eating out [of any kind]. When we take trips, we plan our route and stops for where a Chick-fil-a is, that's how much we love it. I'll give Landon the credit for the planning. I wouldn't think to do that. But he loves it that much. And I love that he loves it that much because it means we get a really good meal.
I love it and I don't even eat chicken. That's how good it is.

And now I love it even more.

This is why:

About a month ago one of Landon's cousins [who will affectionally be referred to as K for this post]   was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a huge shock and news that none of us were expecting to hear. K is young [34-ish] and has four young children ranging in ages from ten to two years old. She is active in her community, church, and her children's classrooms. She is the one who made me feel welcome and a part of the family when Landon and I started dating/got engaged. She has a heart that serves others and works hard to keep her family healthy, fed, and well. And she makes amazing bread [and all food really].

K wrote Chick-fil-a an email telling them about how much she loved their food. She shared that she has always loved their food, and since being diagnosed with breast cancer it has become her comfort food and the place she always goes to eat after her doctor's appointments, of which there are many. Then a representative from Chick-fil-a called her and told her they wanted to do something for her, her family, and friends. They brought a "Cow Party" to her. [She lives in Landon's hometown -a small southern town, the closest Wal-Mart is 40 minutes away, and McDonalds just came to their town a year or so ago. Small town.] But Chick-fil-a brought a party to her, they had red cloth tablecloths on all the tables, sandwiches, sides, dessert, games for the kids, crafts, activities, and of course, a Cow. Before the meal began one of the Chick-fil-a girls prayed a prayer over K, that my mom-in-law said was the sweetest prayer.

from one of our many visits to Chick-fil-a

The thing is, they didn't have to do that. They didn't have to do anything for K. She was just sharing her gratitude for them and their service. And they went above and beyond and threw this amazing little event for her and her loved ones.

Even though we weren't able to attend the little get together [I wish we could have!] just knowing they did this for K amazes me and makes me love them all the more! If you have a Chick-fil-a near you, you should go there for a treat [everything is good - and they have really tasty peppermint milkshakes right now].

I just had to share this sweet story. A story of a thoughtful company that also happens to make the best chicken around.

And if you think of it, say a prayer for K. She is having a lot of tests done and will be having surgery soon, though she still doesn't know when it will be. It could be as soon as this Friday. I know that the Lord hears our prayers and that she would be grateful for all the prayers that can be prayed for and over her.

 
*This is not a sponsored post. It's just a true story and one I wanted to share with you all. 

6 comments:

Alisha said...

I LOVE CFA too!! We have to drive like an hour to go to one, but anytime we are in the area... LOL. What a sweet story, I will definitely keep your family in my prayers. I can't imagine what they are going though right now!!

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness.... *chills* This is the sweetest story, I love to hear stuff like this! I don't really care for CFA (except for their fries and shakes, yum!)but this really made me fall in love with the company. So awesome! I will definitely be stopping for a shake next time I drive past a CFA!
Praying for your cousin!!!

Laura said...

I will be praying for K! What a precious story! Truett Cathy, the man who created CFA, had a daughter and son-in-law who were missionaries and friends of my grandparents. My granddad met Truett several times, and this totally sounds like who he was and what he instilled in his company. I love hearing stories like this that carry on his legacy. So precious!

kelseylynae said...

What a neat testimony to this Christian company! And I'm sorry to hear about K. I

Brent LOVES Chick-Fil-A also. A lot. I love their service and everything about them…but I don't know what it is but I always get a little sick when I eat there [I think it's the sauce or breading? I'm trying to pinpoint it so I can find something I can still eat because we do enjoy going there]. I love that the kid's meals include a BOOK!

Amy said...

How sweet! I have goosebumps! They just opened the a CFA by our house. "By our house" means about 30 minute drive. :)

Jillian said...

First off, really sorry to hear of Landon's cousin. that is an incredibly scary situation to be in, and with such young children...I will certainly prayer for her and her family.

and as for Chick-Fil-A--- amazing company and even more awesome that they are centered on Christ! That story is an awesome one and certainly seems to be in line with such a great business! and their food is about the only fast food I enjoy!