Thursday, December 18, 2014

some ornament stories

The other day Amy shared some of her favorite ornaments; I loved seeing her ornaments so much I thought it would be fun to share some of my own. So with her permission I'm borrowing her idea and sharing some of my favorite Christmas ornaments with you all today. 

One of my very favorites is the first ornament we ever received as a married couple. My mother-in-law sent us this ornament a few weeks before our first Christmas as a gift we could open early. I love everything about it: the thought behind the gift and what this ornament represents. It will be hanging from our tree every single year. 


The summer before Emerson was born [a few weeks before we found out we were actually pregnant] we took a trip to the beautiful Northwest. We saw my brother and visited him outside of Portland and then spent a week driving around, visiting my childhood home, and spending time with my childhood best friend's parents. It was one of the best trips we've gone on together. One of our stops was to Mt. Rainier. Oh, how I love that mountain.


For the past few years one of my friends who works at Disney World has been giving me princess ornaments for Christmas. I love them, and it's so fun to watch my little collection grow. Each year he'll text me and ask what princess I want or don't have. It's pretty fun.   




The Christmas Story is twirled up inside this pretty little glass ball. One of my friends gave it to us one year and I love seeing it and knowing what it says -that there is a story on it!


I don't remember getting this ornament, but I do remember loving hanging this pig on the tree every year. I got it sometime in my younger years and my mom saved it for me. I used to [and kind of still do] love pigs [like I had a collection of them, stuffed, figurines, you name it. I was awesome like that].


Last year Emerson and I were out shopping after Christmas and saw this little pretty [and jingly] jem. Emerson loved it and jingled it all through the store. So naturally I bought it. His first ornament -that he picked out at least. Plus it was one super clearance so how could I not get it for him? This year it's low enough on the tree that he can reach it, he loves to pull it off [if he's quick enough] and play a song or two with it.


My same friend who works at Disney World was super thoughtful, and for Emerson's first Christmas got him this ornament. Emerson sees it on the tree and says, "Mimi" [Mickey].


Obviously these ornaments are in no particular order. This one was given to use the year I was pregnant [kind of obvious, yeah?].  I love the memory that goes along with this.

[and sorry it's a little fuzzy, it's hard to get a good picture of a wiggly ornament]

Finally, I have this little guy. He is one of my favorites [sheesh. I have a lot of favorites, huh? But he really is one of my very favorites]. We got him while we were visiting Colorado the Fall before Emerson was born. We went on a tour of Hammond's Candies and when I saw this cutie in the gift shop I just had to have him. I love him.


I have a box of ornaments my mom kept for me from the time I was little. In that box are all the ornaments I made when I was little, ones gifted to me, and ones collected up until I graduated from high school. Then the box was mine to keep and use on my own tree one day. I hang a lot of them on our tree and some don't make it up because they have seen better days, but I still love the memories that come along with them when I open the box each year. I plan to keep a box for Emerson of all of his ornaments to give him one day for a tree of his own. 

Do you have any favorite or special ornaments? 




I'm joining Amy and Jess again for the 12 days of cheer! 


4 comments:

Alisha said...

Love these!! They are so sweet. So fun to see everyone's Christmas tree favorites.

Amy said...

Aww! I love all of these. You have such beautiful ornaments.I really love the idea of having the Christmas story in the ornament. How many ways you could personalize that for someone? Their wedding song, favorite Bible verses, etc.

Amy said...

Aww! I love all of these. You have such beautiful ornaments.I really love the idea of having the Christmas story in the ornament. How many ways you could personalize that for someone? Their wedding song, favorite Bible verses, etc.

Jillian said...

What a fun post! And honored the ornament I gave you made the cut!!