Thursday, January 29, 2015

it was a happy birthday

Last week we celebrated two years of Emerson. On his birthday I made a small batch of cupcakes because I feel like it's very important to actually celebrate, open presents, and eat cake on your actual birthday. So that is what we did. During nap time I busied myself with last minute present wrapping and cupcake baking so the little guy could have some fun celebrating his birthday. 

He woke up as I was finishing his cupcakes and gift wrapping, so his daddy went to get him from bed. The minute he walked downstairs, Emerson saw the little stack of presents and his eyes got big. He grinned his dimply grin and then ran over to the presents. So we opened them. I didn't have my camera with me and didn't want to miss any of the action, so I just used Landon's iPod ... we made do. 


He absolutely loved opening his gifts. There were a few from us, a few from his grandparents, and some from one of his great-grandmas. After he finished opening one gift he would hold it up high and then run over to where I was sitting to show me. Then he'd run right back to the pile of unopened gifts and take the gift on top and open it. He did this for each gift, it was the sweetest thing.


His gifts from us included a new 'big boy bed' and bedding to go on it. He was so excited to open them and wanted to open the big bed box. Sadly he had to wait, but he seemed happy enough to read his new books and look through the rest of his loot.


After a dinner of banana pancakes, bacon, and fruit [his favorite meal], we had cupcakes to celebrate. I had some of the toppers for his "party" finished, but decided to keep it to just the cupcakes for his birthday and save the toppers for his "party" with his grandparents. 


I was extremely pleased with how well his cupcakes turned out! It was a new recipe and one that I will use again for sure. He also seemed to really enjoy the cake and frosting of his choice: cool whip.

We sang "Happy Birthday" and he blew out the candles. Then immediately asked to do it again. So we did. It was his birthday, I couldn't say no.

Then he enjoyed just about every bite of that little cupcake. We all did.

At the end of the day, after his bath, Bible story, and songs, I sat and rocked him a little bit longer than usual. As I rocked him I couldn't help but think back to the very first night of his little life, two years ago. He was tiny. He was perfect. He fit just so on my chest. I couldn't help but tear up a little bit thinking about how much he has grown and changed. About how much I love him now than I did the day he was born [which was a lot, I tell ya]. 


What a blessing it is to be his mama. I am so thankful we were able to celebrate two wonderful years of his life together, and I can't wait to celebrate a life time more with him. 


3 comments:

Meghan said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday!

Alisha said...

I am tearing up reading this. So sweet. Those moments go by so fast. I remember when Alex was an infant and I would rock him, I just couldn't imagine rocking a toddler... now, I cherish those moments, even though he doesn't mold to my chest quite like he use to. Happy Birthday sweet Emerson! It looks like he had the very best of days!

Lauren said...

so precious! we are converting Elyse's crib to a big girl bed next weekend...I just know she's going to be so excited about it!