Tuesday, January 20, 2015

sleeping troubles

Bedtime and nap time used to be so nice and sweet. I would read a story, pray a prayer, lay my munchkin down and then leave his room. He'd play quietly or read a book and fall asleep shortly after. It took us a while to get there, but once we were, we all loved it.


Nap time and bedtime are not as sweet right now. We're having troubles. Well, not sleeping per say, but falling asleep. I used to just lay him down in his bed and he would roll around and play and fall asleep with little to no fussing. Mostly no fussing. But suddenly, he has started crying and screaming and calling "mommy" over and over again. Sometimes it lasts for five minutes, sometimes ten, and sometimes for a few hours. It's pretty great. I have prayed with him and over him, that he would be filled with peace and calm. I have read him stories. I have let him cry [scream] it out. I have played pretend night-night with him in hopes of that helping him. But nothing is getting better or changing. When I put him in his bed he'll stand up, hold on to the railing, and jump up and down while screaming, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mama, Mama....." It's awful. And I don't know what to do or how to help him.

I just hate that he is crying for me [or at all] and I can't help him. Even if I go in his room, pat him and sing to him for a while, the moment I start to move he starts it all over again. It doesn't matter if I'm in there for five minutes or forty minutes. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome -especially if you have a fix for it. Thank you in advance.

I hope your sleeps are sweet.


3 comments:

Alisha said...

That is so tough, especially while they are yelling for you. :( Nothing is worse, I totally get it. I think it is just a phase though, Alex goes through that sometimes... it is heart wrenching as a momma though. Praying for you, friend!

Jessica said...

We are going through the EXACT same thing! It just started a day or two ago. Honestly, in our case, I think it's because Caleb is teething - he has several new teeth coming in (including some big molars!) - and is in pain, which prevents him from falling asleep, poor little guy. Usually some Tylenol helps. Could this be the case with Emerson? I am hoping this phase passes soon, because it breaks my heart. And I'm also worried that it may permanently disrupt the lovely little bedtime routine that we had gotten so used to. It was so easy and great...I'll definitely miss it if bedtime becomes a struggle again. Sigh. Nothing ever stays the same for long with these ever-changing, ever-growing little guys!!!

tina bumblebee said...

I go through this every few months with my daughter since she was born. I'll get her to sleep easily and soundly all night and then something happens (sometimes I don't even know why) and she refuses to sleep alone or in her own bed. And then suddenly she will again. I have absolutely no idea why. I guess it's just phases?