Wednesday, March 4, 2015

a sewing project

Over the past few weeks I have mentioned here and there that I had been wanting to work on a few projects and that I actually was able to work on one of them. A few weeks ago I was able to go to the fabric store and walk back and forth between the rows choosing the fabric I was looking for. I didn't really know what fabric I was looking for, I just knew that when I saw it I would know that's what I was looking for. You know how that goes, right? I spent much longer than any person should looking around at fabric and trying to decide what fabric options and combinations I was going to go with. In the end I decided on the brighter colored fabric choice. I really liked my other option, but I needed some color in my life.  


Once I got home from the store I started getting everything else that I would need ready, I washed the fabric, cut out the pattern pieces, read over the pattern instructions, and the like. Then I started cutting the fabric, this is both a very happy and scary step in the process. Because if you make a mistake ... there's no taping the fabric back together. And I don't have a bottomless bank account so getting more fabric isn't an option. It had to be done right. 

front: with pockets! three whole pockets! 

It's a good thing I pay close attention to what I'm doing, that way no mistakes were made. Ha. I wish. I was paying very close attention to my project, however it was also my first time working with a chevron print. So I was very careful with my folding and measuring, pinning and planning, but when I was half way through cutting my second big piece of the fabric I realized I was cutting the fabric the wrong way. Turns out for a chevron fabric the print typically goes horizontally not vertically. Who knew? I did some refiguring, and thought out how I could use the fabric I had left and make it right. So with even more attention to detail I was able to piece together some pieces and make it work. I had to use a piece of scrap fabric from a dress I made once as the lining to the back pocket because I ran out of my print, but it was a pretty printed white and works quite well. Plus, I'm the only one who sees that part of the bag anyhow.

back pocket: nice and big, perfect for diapers and wipes -or other things if you don't have a baby

After all of the fabric was cut I ironed all of the pieces and the interfacing. I was ready to sew. I started by sewing the mistakes I had made when cutting earlier, but in the end they turned out just fine and I hardly notice one or more pieces of fabric were pieced together to make one bigger piece. All of my sewing had to be done after the little man went down for bed each night, as the girl I watch naps where my sewing machine is. Oh well. It was something for me to look forward to each day. I was able to sew most evenings too, and by the following Saturday I was able to finish my project. 

the front

I made a few little mistakes here and there, there is one that is more obvious to me but Landon says he can't even tell. And there are places I think the stitching is less than perfect [who knew that magnetic snaps were so strong and don't pull easily past the foot?], but again, Landon says it looks great and you can't tell unless you are looking for it. Even with those little places of imperfections, I am still pretty pleased with how the bag turned out in the end. And I'll just remember for the next time I made one of these bags what I did wrong while sewing it so I don't make the same mistake twice.

a peek inside the bag ... interior pockets! 

This is the first bag I've made that had pockets and snaps, so I learned a few things along the way and am excited to know that I am capable of doing the same thing over again one day. There was an option to use hidden snaps for the main part of the bag, but I opted for non-hidden ones as I could buy a pack of two of the regular snaps for less than the cost of one hidden snap and only five cents more than one regular snap. Easy decision to make. With the interfacing and the canvas fabric the bag feels sturdy too, it can hold stuff... and it does. I like it. 

I like how it turned out in the end and am glad I chose the colors and print that I did. It was such a close call between this another pretty mint fabric with silver polkadots on it. I was hesitant about using a chevron print, but am so glad I did [even after my little cutting mistakes]; the colors are just happy and make me smile when I see them. 

Anyhow, that's one project down ... and a few more to go. Have you been working on anything fun lately? 


7 comments:

Jillian said...

this is truly fantastic!!!! love it! you did such good job!!!!

Jessica said...

So impressed! You did a great job, sweet girl! Loving the colors - will be perfect for spring and summer (if they ever arrive, lol!)

Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup] said...

oh my gosh, that is gorgeous! Well done!

Amy said...

Ummm I want one! Lol! That is adorable! Great job!

Alisha said...

That is SO cute! Oh my gosh! I am totally impressed!

kelseylynae said...

Sewing is so out of my league. I know I could probably figure it out but the fact that you have to pay attention to detail and iron...blegh. Not for me :) But this is AMAZING and I want to hire you. :)

Susannah said...

Oooo... it turned out super cute! Great job!