Tuesday, March 10, 2015

do you want to build a snowman?

Even with all of the big snows and freezing temperatures building a snowman was something that never happened. We tried a few times, but the snow was always too fluffy. I hadn't exactly given up on the idea of building a snowman, but I sure wasn't feeling energetic enough to bundle us all up again to go out and give it one last try. I guess that's what grandparents are for? When I'm low on my energy and just feeling lazy they come in full of fun and ideas and energy to do all of the things.


So this weekend while Landon's parents were visiting we finally built a snowman [and when I saw we it was Daddy, Poppy, and Emerson ... they were too quick for me and by the time I got outside they were nearly done!]. Emerson loves being outside, hot or cold, it doesn't matter to him, so he was all about layering up and going outside to play. He helped with that snowman and was so proud when it was finished. Even now he'll catch a glimpse of the incredibly pathetic melting snowman [if it can still be called that...] and shout his excitement for his snowman.

The weather was a little bit warmer this weekend, up in the thirties and not freezing and the sun was out and there was no wind blowing. So outside we went for a little fun. Because the temperatures had warmed up a bit the snow was more wet and not so fluffy, making building a snowman possible.


It was nice to have Landon's parents in for a little visit. They love Emerson and he loves them. He was napping when they arrived on Friday and was so excited to go downstairs with me after he woke up only to see his Gigi and Poppy. Most of the weekend we just hung around, watched some basketball, napped, ate, visited, and I escaped to do some sorting and organizing.


I mentioned on Friday how I had hoped to go through the basement closet and get all of the baby things my sister had loaned me out. I was able to get it all done! And this was the perfect weekend to send all of the baby things back her way [her in-laws live in the same town as my in-laws do... crazy, huh?!] so she can start getting ready for her own little peanut. Due to the weather [read: snow] my in-laws drove their big SUV and just the two of them came for a visit, usually one of my sister's-in-law will come along. But because it was just them, I was able to get all of the baby things into their car.


I had debated about sending the baby clothes with them, because I didn't know if my sister was having a boy or a girl yet. But I decided to sort through everything one last time and send all of her boy clothes back to her -there were a lot. I thought she was going to have a boy, there was a 50/50 chance for me being right in my guess, and if she didn't want them she could do whatever she wanted to. So off they went. I'm so glad I sent those clothes back, because she just found out that she's having a baby boy! hooray!


So pretty much, our weekend was spent enjoying time with family, eating out [a nice little perk of their visits], checking things off my list, and building a snowman. It was quiet and oh so nice.



Landon had asked his parents to bring his sled from home so we could take Emerson for a ride. He has a tiny sled, but it really doesn't work. I'm sure we'll get to use it a lot more next winter, but Emerson loved the little rides that he was taken on in what snow was left over.


On Sunday we went out for lunch and parted ways from the restaurant. It was a good thought, but not good when it came down to saying good-byes. Emerson was so sad when his Gigi and Poppy had to leave and couldn't sit with him in the car or give him hugs. The boys was sad. And I couldn't do a thing about it since we were in a car driving somewhere ourselves. It wasn't until we got home and I could hold him that he calmed down. Next time, they'll say good-bye from the house.


Anyhow, it was a fun little weekend, we enjoyed having Gigi and Poppy tag along for the things we do every weekend, including grocery shopping. Hopefully the next time we see them the grass will be green and snow free. 


5 comments:

Susannah said...

It's hard to believe it's that cold some places. Here in Portland it's been in the 60's and sunny!

tina bumblebee said...

That is a HUGE snowman! Hahaha. I've never made one with Lyla either, mainly because after 5 minutes she hates snow/cold. But when I came home from work last week there was a big snowman in the front yard that she made with her grandparents who were babysitting her. Sometimes they have great ideas haha

Laura said...

Hannah, Emerson's snowman is adorable! The snowman props are perfect! Grandparents seem to make everything better, huh? Enjoy that new nephew when he gets here!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

Cute pictures! That's a great snowman. We didn't build one this year, and got plenty of snow! My 18 month old has that adorable hat. I love it! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Lauren said...

so cute! we've had plenty of snow...but none of it was really good snowman snow, it was super dry & powdery!