Thursday, March 5, 2015

overwhelmed by love

About a month ago we were invited to join a small group at our church. We didn't know anyone in the group, we just knew we wanted to be in a group and so we signed up one day at church. It didn't take long for us to be contacted by a couple who lead a group, inviting us to their home. Before we went, and even before we signed up for a group, we prayed that it would be good. We were so hungry for fellowship and missed building relationships with other believers. 


Our prayers were answered above and beyond what we had hoped for. All the other couples in the group are great, so welcoming, genuine, and generous. I even went to college with one of the girls in the group; we lived in the same dorm freshman year and had mutual friends, and sophomore year we lived across the hall from each other ... crazy. We've been blessed beyond measure by the leader's generosity already. Opening their home to us and to Emerson, allowing him to play with their boys, and having a babysitter come to their house each week. It is more than ideal. It is something that we all look forward to, even Emerson is excited to go play with the 'boys' and their 'horse' [because they have an awesome giant Radio Flyer riding horse that he happens to love]. 

And then the lady that leads the group with her husband asked if she could have lunch with me - she would bring food to my house since I can't get out. Who does that?! And with a newborn baby herself? She brought me a bowl of my favorite noodles from what is apparently the best Thai restaurant in town. And ohmygoodness. I was blown away. Both by the noodles and her visit. We had lunch with the munchkins in my kitchen and talked about this town we live in, church, life, the future, babies ... It may have only been a short lunch visit, but it was one of the best lunches I've had in a long time. Again, I'm amazed and oh so humbled by this couple's generosity towards us. 

And then ... she gave us a gift for baby boy. The first gift and probably one of the only ones baby boy will get: diapers and wipes. Something so small and so simple [and so needed]. 

This gift of lunch, diapers, and wipes, makes me see God's faithfulness and provision all over again, in ways that my heart and eyes have been blind to for too long. He is faithful and full of grace and truth. Though these days are trying and challenging, God is good. ... I just need to remember that and live it out each day.

6 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, and Dylan Too! said...

That is so sweet!

Tiffany said...

Awww, that is so sweet! It's people like that that make communities so great! I can't wait to feel like a part of something like that!

Jessica said...

Oh, Hannah. This post just touched my heart so, so much. We had the very best small group at our old church, and I miss that fellowship so much. We haven't found a church home yet in our new town - though we are regular attenders at a church near our home. It's just not the same. I am so glad that you guys are plugged in and have made good friends. And what a sweet gift!!!:) Just the lunch and fellowship would have been enough I'm sure, but the diapers and wipes were such a thoughtful gesture!

Laura said...

I love seeing the body of Christ working! Thank you for sharing this story. I'm so excited that you are making friends and feeling 'at home' in your small group!

Amy said...

How sweet!!

Amanda Klein said...

Wow! Looks like you found the perfect group! So lovely when things fall into place like this :)