Thursday, April 16, 2015

how to potty train your toddler ?

This week we're talking all about potty training. What worked for you, what didn't work. And I'm here to say, I have no advice or tips or anything to contribute on this topic. This is one where I'm really looking for all of your tips and thoughts and success stories - what worked for you? how did you do it? Tell me everything!

Last summer I pulled the little froggy potty my sister had loaned us out of the closet, cleaned it up a bit, and put it in our bathroom. I've sat Emerson on the little potty and he has had a lot of successes. But he is by no means potty trained. He will usually go potty if I sit him on his potty and we all cheer and he dances and gets some M&Ms. Super exciting. But I've been incredibly inconsistent about working with him on using the potty all the time. Recently he has started showing more signs about knowing when he has potty and when he needs to go and he's said and given signs about needing to poop as well. He'll sit on the potty when he says he needs to go, but as of yet he still hasn't gone poop on the potty.

similar to ours here

I've read all kinds of books and articles, talked to friends and read some of your alls potty training success stories. But I just haven't taken the leap and done it with him. Landon is all about having him potty trained before June [baby month] comes around. So basically, that leaves me less than two months to get it done. I have heard so many success stories about potty training in three days [3 Day Potty Training Boot Camp or something like that?] and am strongly considering doing that one weekend here. But I have yet to work up the courage and just do it. It's a little tricky because I baby-sit and don't have any free three day weekends until after school is out [June]; but there's always the idea of just starting after nap time one Friday afternoon [after Bee goes home] and hoping and praying he catches on really quick and we're mostly good by Monday morning when Bee comes back to play. Thoughts?

I know this is something that needs to be done [and will be done], I'm just having the hardest time working up the courage to actually do it and be super consistent about it. So, all that to say: please share your potty training stories! Okay, thanks :)






In this link up we want to share with you what we've found that has worked for us as new mamas to toddlers. Because we're experts  after being moms for a few years or so, right? Not really, but we have some experience and want to share what we've learned and we'd love to learn from you, too!

               Here's our Hosts for this round!







Here are the topics we will be talking about this Month!

April 2nd. Spring activities and craft ideas for toddlers.

April 9th.  How  you keep your toddler occupied while grocery shopping.

April 15th.  Potty Training.

April 22.Ways to distract a toddler while you're cooking/cleaning etc.

April 29th Clothes shopping for your toddler. (Where do you get the best deals, where do you shop, how do you save money) etc

 

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, potty training. :) I, by no means, am an expert. I did, however, used to work in the toddler room while I was in daycare & did a lot of potty training with those kids. But even that was different that potty training my own. I'll attach my link to my potty training post. :) Hope it helps!
http://lukeandamysmith.blogspot.com/search?q=potty+training

kelseylynae said...

I know I've told you about our experience a bit and blogged about it. We did the "boot camp" basically-- naked from waist down. She took to it really quickly...until we put her pants back on her. :/ I would say it took us from about July until January to be FULLY potty trained!! [fully potty-trained to me = not worrying non-stop about taking her and knowing she can be in the car/with other people without having accidents]. It wasn't fun. But we made it :)

Leslie said...

We're pretty much in the same boat as you - we introduced a potty last summer and we've been letting my daughter use it when she asks for the most part. I don't have any advice, but a friend of mine spoke very highly of the 3 Day Method and actually recommended it to me. We'll probably end up trying that out when the time comes. Good luck!

Amy Will said...

Ahh I have no potty training wisdom to share either! We have dabbled in potty training with our toddler yet haven't made the plunge yet. With our baby #2 due in early June, too, we're choosing to wait until after baby is born to potty train. Now whether that's the right decision or not... I'm still unsure! My son's interest in the potty just isn't there most days. Hoping he will decide he wants "big boy" pants soon!
Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

Crystal Foose said...

I think you should wait until the baby is born to start potty-training. Regression is a real thing! Have someone bring a gift of underwear when they bring a baby gift. This worked like a charm with about half the kids. The other half might make my advice null and void! LOL

Lauren said...

I waited until Elyse was 2 1/2 (last summer actually) and I followed the 3 day Potty Training method. It worked fabulously and while we've had our share of accidents...we went straight from diapers to panties and never looked back!