Wednesday, April 29, 2015

something new. a little potty.

A few weeks ago I talked about potty training and mentioned that we hadn't not done much with it. As it turned out we started potty training the very next day due to an unexpected three day weekend. I had decided I was going to try the three day "boot camp" method of potty training and new that I wouldn't have another three day weekend until right before the baby's due date, and I didn't want to wait that long. 

So I had Landon pick up a few potty books at the library for Emerson to read and after breakfast on Friday morning we went into potty training mode. And I was terrified. I was scared there would be accidents and I'd lose my patience. I was also not keen on having a bare bummed little guy running around the house all day, as I had also decided that's the way we were going to start: with a bare booty. 


It has not been all sunshine and daisies and it has not been accident free. But I very quickly got over the bare booty and running around and the accidents that happened. I just cleaned them up. Because that's what you have to do. 

We're still working on potty training, obviously, but at least our days are now spent in underwear and pants. Progress. And we've had a few days that have ended in the same underwear the day started with! Very exciting, let me tell you. 

And I just have to say a big thank you to those of you who have happily shared you tips and advice and also offered encouragement during these early potty training days, it means so much! 

Anyhow, that's what we've been up to around these parts. I feel like I have never asked, "Do you need to go potty?" so much in my life. And kind of like it's all I say any more. And also, I feel like I have never so closely watched Emerson's body language. It speaks volumes. 

More tips? Advice? Also, you are my hero if you have potty trained your child. 




2 comments:

Amy said...

So glad that things are going well!

Lauren said...

haha! I'm so thankful that Elyse is potty trained...but diapers certainly are SOOO easy! I hate the moment that we just get in the car, and we're 5 minutes down the road..."Mommmmmm....I need to go potty." And I proceed to say..."Hold it, hold it, hold it"...until my dear husband can find an appropriate public restroom that won't give Elyse all sorts of disease or sickness! Eewww!