Wednesday, May 13, 2015

my hospital bag

It may sound strange, but one thing I secretly love to do is pack. Granted there are times I don't love packing so much, like when I'm in hour 73 of packing our entire house up, then I'm just over it and ready to be done packing and move onto the fun unpacking stage. But in general, I love packing. 

Packing represents that you are going somewhere, doing something, that something out of the ordinary is going to happen. Packing also represents [or can] a challenge of sorts. You have to look at what you are packing for, your mode of transportation, and the season you are in.... all kinds of fun things to consider. I always get so excited when Landon asks me to pack his bag for his trips. He picks what he wants to take and I make it fit. And oh, I make it fit. 

Anyhow, I was excited when the time came close enough for me to start packing a bag to take to the hospital. I had decided early on that I wanted to be ready for baby by the end of 34 weeks, this included having the bags packed [for me and the little ones!]. I like to be prepared and since Emerson came a bit earlier than expected last time, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't rushing around at the last minute to pack three bags. 


I thought about what I would like to have while at the hospital, things I took last time but didn't use or didn't take but wanted to have. I also thought about what would be available to me at the hospital. I tend to over pack most of the time, you just never know what you will feel like wearing... but I tried to keep it pretty simple for this bag. 

So, here is what I'm bringing with me to the hospital when the time comes: 
- slippers
- flip flops [for the shower] 
- socks [some for before baby and some for after baby]
- underwear [even though I know I'll just use what they provide at the hospital along with those awesomely huge pads [they are good] and not use my own. I have a hard time not packing underwear] 
- a cardigan/wrap [incase I get cold.... or for when we have visitors and I want to maintain an ounce of modesty]
- nursing camis
- nursing bras
- yoga pants [stretchy and soft. Good to have] 
- a nightgown [easy for nursing and nice to not have anything on the incision area] 
- clothes to wear home [I have two options, like I said, I never know what I'll feel like wearing, though I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the soft maxi skirt this time around].

There are a few things I'll have to add last minute, like a shirt to wear home [I have a small rotation and need all the shirts right now].


I'm also taking my own toiletries. I know some people don't do that, but I am not one of those people. I want to be able to take a shower as soon as I can so I can feel fresh. It's amazing the wonders a shower can do for you.

The toiletries I'm packing are pretty basic and things that stay in my overnight bag all the time, so it's not like I'm adding anything special:
- toothbrush
- toothpaste
- body wash
- shampoo
- face wash
- facial wipes [for when I can't get out of bed]
- deodorant
- lotion
- contacts, glasses, and contact solution [last minute additions]

I'm also taking my make up bag, because a little bit of make-up goes a long way in making me feel decent. And my straightener will probably come along too ... I don't want to look back on pictures from those first days with our new babe in horror of what I looked like. Just being honest :)


Anyhow, those are the things that will be coming along with me to the hospital. I always like getting a little peek into other mama's hospital bags, so I thought I'd share mine. What are some things you took/are taking with you to the hospital? Things you took but didn't use? Didn't take but wanted to have? 


4 comments:

kelseylynae said...

Way to be on it! My hospital bag with Becks was kind of thrown together when I went in with my kidney stones and then kind of remained the same. It worked just find. But I LOVE that black and white polka dot bag. Where did you get that?

Courtney B said...

I totally brought my own toiletries! With Mia I just wore the hospital gown my whole stay.... I can't decide if I'm going to attempt wearing clothes this time around. The idea of wearing anything at all (but those big ol' pads, ha!) makes me cringe.... but obviously it's necessary ;)

Lauren said...

With Elyse I only changed out of the hospital gown to actually come home...I think. But with Nora, I changed into normal clothes as soon as I could. I wanted Elyse to see me sitting in a chair and not in the hospital gown so things wouldn't seem so strange to her!

Amy said...

You are on it, girl! I love your bag!