Wednesday, July 15, 2015

a picnic, a park, and flowers

This morning we decided to have a picnic breakfast. Usually people go on picnics for lunch and/or dinner, but we decided it would be fun to have a little picnic  breakfast at the park. So we all got ready and after Oliver woke up and ate his first feeding of the day we went to a little bakery in town, picked up some pastries, and headed to one of our favorite parks. We were able to enjoy the little picnic table pavilion by ourselves, and once we finished eating our cinnamon rolls, muffins, and danishes [it's always best when you can try a little bit of everything, am I right?], Emerson lead the way to the play area. We could stay outside at the park all day every day and he would be the happiest little guy. 



We could have stayed at the park for a lot longer, but we wanted to go visit the university's arboretum, so we loaded up and drove over to see some flowers. Landon and Emerson had gone over there while I was at the hospital, and Landon's mom thought the flowers would be much prettier after a month of growth. She was right, all of the flowers were beautiful. We walked around and admired the countless flowers that were growing. Some flowers I was familiar with and some were new and beautiful to me. Some of them I really want to plant at our house now! After looking at the flower garden we walked over to see the rose garden. They also had some fruit growing: grapes, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and rhubarb to name a few. Oh, how I wished those plants were all growing in our backyard! 


After walking around for a while a certain little mister started to get hungry so I found a nice little bench, under the shade of a big tree and sat down to feed Oliver, all while getting to admire the view. There could not have been a more perfect spot. The tree provided ample shade from the sun and the breeze was constant and cool, whirling and twirling all around us. The flowers dancing in the sunlight, sunflowers stretching their faces towards the sun, begonias, petunias, pepper flowers, and countless others filling the morning with bright colors and cheer. The shade and breeze kept us from getting too hot or sticky. If every morning could be as perfect I would be in love.


Why can't this be my view every morning, noon, and night? It was so refreshing sitting on a little bench in the flower garden, admiring God's glorious creation, enjoying the soft breezes he swirled around me. It was the perfect quiet time. There was nothing I could do but praise God for his beauty and spend time in prayer. I was so thankful for a quite little bit of time. Just me, a nursing babe, and our great God. It seems as though quite times like that are few and fleeting, but this morning it was perfectly beautiful and I was reminded of God's grace through His beauty.


I'm not sure when I'll have another half hour or so chunk of time that is spent enjoying the calm and beauty of this world, so I soaked up as much of it as I possibly could. It was good to be outside. It was good to enjoy God's beauty. It was good to just be.



2 comments:

Amy said...

We love what we call "donut dates" at the park! And all those flowers are just gorgeous!

Living out of Wedlock said...

What a perfect idea, we just may have to copy you and have a breakfast picnic this weekend! And those flowers are gorgeous!